Champagne?

Should??? Champagne, like every other wines, should be what one wants it to be.

Represent!

Did you try it yet? I had it at the winery yesterday (we ended up doing a mini-vertical back to 1969, which was a lot of fun) and I’d say it’s one of the most tightly-wound, incisive releases of Les Chétillons in recent years. It is a terrific wine which I warmly recommend, but right now it’s like an electric shock and really needs some time to unwind. A bottle that had been opened for four days was easier to read than one popped during my visit.

If you like Bérêche a lot, I would infer that you appreciate barrel fermented but still quite acid-driven, incisive styles of Champagne. It makes sense that you also enjoy Aubry. Something a bit more powerful and vinous while remaining very incisive would be Ulysse Collin’s Les Pierrières. But if you like Bérêche a lot, why not simply explore some of their lieu-dit bottlings, or the Reflet d’Antan, as another poster has suggested? There’s a lot to be said for getting to know fewer producers more thoroughly…

No, I haven’t. I bought based on what I read and that’s why I said,“relative short term” knowing it’s going to need some bottle time. I felt likewise about the 2012 when I tried it. I’ve purchased every vintage since the 2006 with the exception of 2010. (I’ve had the 2011 en magnum twice and thought it was exceptionally good considering the vintage.) My buying days are rapidly drawing to a close so I went long on both the 2012 and 2013 acquiring 12 750’s and 9 magnums of each. I’m not worried about missing out on the 2008 Comtes.

That’s a great purchase! It’s quite a bit tighter out of the gates than the 2012, though!

I’ve had the 13 a few times (including Tuesday out of magnum), and it’s definitely racy! I love the acidity.

It’s certainly more open than the 2013 Monsieur Victor though!

William,

I’m curious how the 2008 showed. The 2008s I’ve had recently which include Dom, Veuve, and Krug 164 are all really starting to shine. I have the 08 Cristal in the que for next weekend and I’m hoping some of the overtly lemon characteristic has subdued.

in that price range, you absolutely cannot go wrong with Bouchard. they are beautiful wines and the prices are still reasonable. my favorite champagne ive ever had was a Ruinart BdB vintage and those can still eek into that range if you find the right shop

I was thinking the same thing. I’d rather have more excellent bottles than one pricey bottle that might only be a small step up, if that.

Huge fan of the Ruinart too

I think the Reflet is where I’m going. Will definitely be sampling more of their lineup. The only thing I can’t tell is if their wines will age for years. CT gives some guidance but the inconsistency always makes me wonder…

Another vote for Reflet d’Antan, it is a beautiful wine, one of my favourite champagnes for sure.