Chanterelles.

Here’s the finished dish with thyme and parm
20160924_180911.jpg

Sooooo jealous!

Late start to the season and half my spots burned up but I did get out this weekend.

Here’s last year’s Elk with Chanterelles cooked the day they were picked (Saturday).
IMG_20170930_192430_364.jpg

Wow, didn’t realize OR gets chanterelles so soon!

I usually go foraging in santa cruz/big sur after the first rain in november … that thyme and parm dish looks so good drool

Same timing: 2 weeks after first hard fall rain.

Paul, what’s your general recipe in that pot?

pork, chicken or pheasant stock, thickened with a roux.

I got out over the weekend, too. My bolete spot had some burn but not too bad, but few funghi of any sort. Don’t know if we were just too early, or if the burn will inhibit this fall’s crop.

Tried to get to a chanterelle spot, too, but the road had washed out.

Will probably try the bolete spot again on Sunday and hope for the best.

yeah, I haven’t ventured into the Gorge yet. I’ll probably just be too emotional anyway.

You guys have it good in oregon for fungi! My main spots are in big sur, which is gonna be closed for the season :frowning:

I’ve heard it said that morels thrive in areas that have burned. I suppose that’s a small consolation for the devastation, and a promise of better things to come.

Back on topic: saw some chanterelles from Bulgaria at the market last night. Didn’t look great though. Will hold out for a more local crop.

My daughter gave me about 5 pounds of Chanterelles yesterday. After using some in risotto last night and eggs this morning, I still have about 3 pounds left. I’d like to use them in an appetizer in a couple of days. Does anyone have any ideas? TIA

I like them diced, sauteed in butter and herbs then finished with a bit of PX sherry. Serve them with crackers and assorted meats and cheeses.

Rancho Gordo Bro " Steve" says they are great with his beans
from his news letter

"Are you seeing fresh chantrelles in the market? They’re a natural with beans. They allow the beans to be beans and you don’t lose an iota of mushroom majesty.

Wipe the mushrooms with a damp paper towel and cut into bite-sized pieces if they’re big. Sauté in both butter and olive oil (2:1) and lots of minced garlic. A thyme sprig would also be welcome.

You just want to cook for 8 to 10 minutes or so. Remove the thyme, if you used it, and ladle into a waiting bowl of creamy, white hot beans. Transition into autumn with ease."

I’ve decided to do a mushroom tart. I may have to add a few criminis but it should turn out very nice.

Really like doing a frittata with them as well but note that nearly every recipe will ask for too little, way too little olive oil

One of my favorite uses of freshly foraged Chanterelles is Wiener Eierschwammerlgulasch. I’ve been chasing a recipe for this dish for over a decade since having it in Innsbruck. It is a Viennese Chanterelle Goulasch with Potatoes, Milk, Carrots, Cabbage, Onions, Hungarian Paprika, Caraway, Bay Leaf.

Note the High German word for Chanterelle is Pfifferling but the Austrian word is Eierschwammerl. (I believe this is correct, hopefully Gerhardt corrects me). And that’s why I haven’t been able to find a recipe. I was using the wrong German!
IMG_20171128_183736_911.jpg

Resurrecting this thread, because it was great. And chanterelles are definitely here already in both the coast range and the Cascades. Went out Sunday and came back with oodles.

Everyone knows that Tortilla Espanola is potatoes held together with eggs and onions. Tortilla a la Gallega is potatoes held together with eggs and chorizo, with a touch of pimento and onion. Tonight’s dinner, if it needs a name, might be dubbed Tortilla Cascadia. It was sauteed chanterelles held together with eggs and butter. When finished, top with a dusting of grated reggiano and top notch evoo. Serve with Oregon chardonnay (in my case, Vincent 2016 Ribbon Ridge – very fine).
tortilla_cropped_rotated2.JPG

Daaay-yum! That sounds great!

Sous vide pickle some: