Charcoal Grill - Weber?

The best wedding present we got 31+ years ago was an 18" Weber (of course I’d grown up on one as well). I’ve been through a handful over the years, and now have one 18 and one larger (I can’t remember if it’s a 23 or a 26 at the moment). Between using one, the other, or both for large gatherings, I have all the flexibility I need.

When I was young and poor and there was no internet I used briquettes and lighter fluid. These days I use a chimney and lump, and a variety of wood chips.

I agree with the advice above to splurge on the Weber chimneys. My most helpful tip that I haven’t seen yet is to shape the newspaper into a “donut” at the bottom before lighting - the hole in the middle will really help.

I used to have the charcoal baskets but found them to be more trouble than they were worth compared to just pushing the coals to one (or both) sides.

Grill, Baby, Grill!

IMG_20200224_181806338.jpg
Here’s my ‘Martha’s’ chicken thighs. A full 40+ minutes with indirect heat. Buying the racks for the sides is worth it. I’ve cooked numerous roasts, meatloafs and turkeys this way.

I prefer lump for grilling, but use briquettes for smoking. Do people use lump even for an indirect setup and smoking on the Weber? I find that the lump tends to catch to quick and burn too hot, or it doesn’t want to catch and burns out. So you have to start the pieces in a chimney, whereas briquettes you just add one and it will catch at a steady rate.

Answer to your first question is yes. Even for indirect.

As to the second part, I haven’t found that and I don’t like the idea dumping additional glowing charcoal on a fire when I have food on that’s going to catch all of the ash and dust. Like I said, I never used a chimney. We bought one but it still has the label on.

As to lump vs briquettes, it depends on who you talk to. If you look at Meathead’s site, he’s all for briquettes. He says they’re more consistent, burn more evenly, and provide the most predictable heat. He says that it’s basically all carbon and you needn’t worry about non-wood smoke. What he doesn’t say is that all the filler and binder remains and has to be cleaned out. You end up with as much ash as you had charcoal. And you can’t re-use the pieces. He says don’t use lighter fluid. Then Myron Mixon, who’s won plenty of competitions, says lighter fluid is fine as long as you let it all burn off. Both of them are supposed to be experts, so as always, you have to find out for yourself.

The lump charcoal will contain different pieces of wood - some branches and some bark. And if there’s any moisture, you’ll have sparkles for a couple minutes. Sometimes you have huge pieces that you need to break up. But the lumps burn much cleaner. You have a fraction of the ashes to deal with afterwards. And you’re generally dealing with an average temp of all the pieces, not the temp of each specific piece, so I don’t understand how you can claim that one style provides a more predictable heat. Lump burns hotter than briquettes in general, so if you’re smoking, just damp down more. I’ve gone to competition BBQs to see what people are using. A lot of them are using lump charcoal and they’re not having any problems. Some use briquettes and then they throw in some additional hardwood for flavor.

I’m far from an expert on long cooking times for things like brisket, but I’ve made plenty of ribs, tri-tip, pork roasts, turkey breast, and other things that require several hours. We used the Weber kettle with hardwood lump charcoal and things came out just fine. I rec’d a half bag of briquettes a couple years ago because the guy was moving. I hated them and ended up tossing most of them out.

You can regulate the temperature just as easily with lump as with briquettes, they’ll start just as readily, and you have less clean up.

Another charcoal user who converted from a gas grill. I noticed know one mentioned you can retrofit the premium performer versions to use a full propane tank to get the coals going faster…

Ooo dang the lump charcoal can be expensive!
Couple dumb questions -
Do/can you mix regular charcoal with lump?
Anyone use fire starter cubes?

I have a premium Weber kettle and chimney in my Amazon shopping cart…
May hold on charcoal tray for now, unless someone can convince me to buy it.

I mix Royal Oak lump and Royal Oak regular.

Add me to the list of those who have a Weber Charcoal Grill and love it. We have had the 22" Performance Grill for 12 years and it still works great. I have to admit that this is the first time that I have seen the vortex for the Charcoal Grill. Looks like something to consider! Joseph, thanks for mentioning it.

Ed

I do not mix. Only add wood if I want the fire to get hotter.

Also don’t use fire starter. I use an electric starter.

I have a set of the trays but they really aren’t any more useful than making piles of lump charcoal where I want it.

Next time we visit, you cook on that super cajun grill!

Weather permitting, ok!

The Cajun Grill reminds me of the Hasty Bake which is made here in town.

It will be my next grilling purchase.

I use fire starter cubes in my BGE. I think you could always fashion a “tray” from aluminum foil pans, if you want to see if/how it helps.

Offer stands to lend/give my chimney, and a free bag of quality charcoal :slight_smile:

Sure Alan.
I’ll take them off your hands, thanks!!
Maybe bring to our next dinner at Solé?

The Weber Kettle is indeed an excellent choice. Lots of great advice here. The one thing I have to add is to take a moment while you are first getting it set up to use a sharpie to mark the lower vent open/close increments. I used marks for 1/4, 1/2 open, and it made low heat so much easier to manage.

Walmart carries the Royal Oak 15lb for $9 occasionally marked down to $7 and Costco has the 40lb for as low as $17 in my market. While Royal Oak lump isn’t “premium” it works fine. I mix with logs of apple, cherry, oak or hickory depending on meat and purpose. (grilling vs smoking). I use a weed torch to start. Takes 2 or 3 minutes.

So I pulled the trigger on this one…
E500561D-B8A3-4ED8-8AA8-249EC2D357F4.jpeg

The good thing is if you decide you don’t use it much, it can double as a walker…

Young damn whippersnappers better watch out for me and my smoldering walker

How does the 26 offer more stunts than the 22? Smoking does seem like it’d be easier than the 22, but I’ve got a bullet smoker, so that’s not useful to me. But I’m curious about what other options it would open up.

Because I’d kind of like the 26 inch, but AFAICT it has many fewer available accessories than the 22 inch. The biggie for me is the rotisserie (and cages and such to go with it). But I’d also lose my Kettle Pizza.

And my grill nook doesn’t really have the space for prep table, smoker, and both 22 inch and 26 inch kettles.

This may be academic, as I hope to put in a brick bbq this year. But that may just end up being a brick mounting for my kettle – still in the design stage. But if I do that, I’ll be locked in to whatever kettle size I choose.

The charcoal grill gives us the sear and smoke-filled taste. charcoal grill are gathered meat the more flavor when charcoal quality is more supreme for the actual end-use
Need to know more about charcoal grill visit https://bbqsmokersreview.com/