Charleston lodging and restaurants

Ken, thanks for the write up. I was wondering if you ever heard back from your friend regarding the ChopHouse gospel brunch?

We’ve stayed at the King Charles Inn. Nice and well located.

I apologize for not DM’ing you - had to take an unexpected emergency trip and forgot. Yes, they go with some regularity and look forward to it!!

Since you already had lodging I didn’t write about it, but we like Wentworth a lot as well as The Restoration. We’ve stayed at the Harbour View annually with the kids for about a decade now to get a few nights in town before heading to Kiawah. I’d like to try Hotel Bennett. A lot of top staff in Charleston as well as Kiawah bolted for there when it opened. Had a really nice meal in their restaurant Gabrielle last spring. The wine list was weak, but I’m certain it would’ve improved by now.

If you go to Charleston Grill then you want table 46. They have 3 two tops that are great tables.

I’d like to try Zero George, friends love it…

You really can’t go too wrong where you stay or where you eat. Just get into a “real” conversation with locals and they will point in you in good directions. Charleston has a great vibe of wanting to showcase their hospitality.

Thanks! I’ll keep the reservation then, it sounds like a good time.

Thought I’d follow up with our experiences.

We didn’t really go out to eat as much as I thought due to the early shows, but our favorite by far was Lewis. That place has some incredible meats and a great patio to hang out on. Rodney Scott’s on the other hand was super disappointing, I know it’s blasphemy but to me it was basically like any city bbq here. ( I know I know the accolades). We Ordered two pounds of ribs and I couldn’t get them off the bones with my teeth! Turkey was good though, chicken and pork were just ok, but all was very Smokey if you like that style.

Halls chophouse was a very fun time for gospel brunch. Food was just fine, but the atmosphere was what we were after and that delivered. I’d ask to sit downstairs if that what your after.

First trip to Charleston, and we definitely need to return when food can be more of the focus. Thanks all for the guidance.

6C1CB82F-F6E0-4F8D-B3DB-AAACC20A58E7.jpeg
Here’s what $100 will buy you at Lewis but I didn’t mind one bit after I tasted that brisket and beef rib!

that price is kinda crazy

How is the Renaissance Hotel?

Checked the menu, and I recall Lewis when he was a pitmaster here in Austin. The per pound prices are consistent with what we pay in Austin for BBQ. Some are a little lower, but not by much

Stayed at the French Quarter inn. It was great, especially the location and the Little patios for breakfast.

We stayed there this past spring. Good location. Hotel was nice. Room was spacious and had a fridge. Breakfast buffet was small and lacking.