Charleston, SC recs

I’m resurrecting this thread (sorry for the drift) rather than start a new one. Anybody have any scoop on Seabrook Island, just south of Kiawah? We are looking to do an island/Charleston week in late May. We’ve done Folly, Sullivan’s and Isle of Palms in the past. Seabrook popped up as an option along with Kiawah.

Thanks.

Enjoy the traffic getting there [wink.gif]
I’ll text a buddy who lives there.

btw to all, Lewis was SWAMPED at lunch yesterday.

1 Like

Traffic specifically bad to that area?

1 road from Hwy 17 to Seabrook/Kiawah.
My buddy says nothing good on SB but options on Kiawah.

More options on the north beaches (Sullivan’s Is and Isle of Palms)
Plus you’d be close to me champagne.gif

1 Like

Posted some thoughts on Kiawah dining (including some restaurants btwn Charleston and Kiawah/Seabrook) last year that might be of interest, happy to try and answer Qs about Kiawah if I can help, haven’t been to Seabrook though. Feel free to PM as well

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3005096#p3005096

1 Like

Trip was great and I can’t wait to return. Definitely go to 167Raw… we enjoyed it so much for lunch one day we went back the next. Solid oyster options, some other tasty food and a good wine and cocktail program, IMO.

Also a hearty recommendation to Wine & Co as a wine bar. Lots of fun options.

Leon’s was pretty good. Just a bit too over the top on everything for me, personally. More a personal preference, everything we ate was very good and Huet sparkling was tasty.

Renzo’s… very neighborhood-y place. food was good. Would liked to have done something different on a first visit to the city, like Chez Nous or The Ordinary.

FIG was outstanding. I thought the dining room was beautiful. Service was excellent. Heartily recommend.

Kirk, I’m glad that you enjoyed 167Raw. We visit Chucktown about 2-3 times a year and 167Raw is a required visit every time. We stay at the Fulton Lane Inn which is next door to 167Raw, so it’s too convenient.

Actually, headed down tomorrow morning for the holiday weekend. The lineup includes Leon’s, FIG, 167Raw, Circa 1886 and Chez Nous with several other hydration breaks thrown in.

1 Like

James you are lucky to be so close! Probably try to do another short trip next year and definitely will be targeting Chez Nous and Ordinary.

Both are very good.

Chez Nous has been way off their game the past few times I’ve been…to the point that we declined to eat what they put on the table.

Haven’t been since ‘Rona appeared

Was in Charleston for a few days and just got back. Here are some observations:

167Raw; fantastic and the variety and freshness of the oysters are incredible. Loved the Lobster Roll but the Tuna Burger is an OMG WOW! Ordered a Servin Premiere Cru which was a perfect food match.

The Ordinary; Bustling place has super fresh ingredients and the oysters sliders were excellent. Took a chance and ordered the swordfish w/grits and was very pleased.

Halls Chophouse; The restaurant was jamming and difficult to get into but we stood around the bar for an hour or two and eventually got a seat. This was on Friday on the same weekend as the PGA Championship at Kiawah, so a great place and night to people watch. The Seafood Tower appetizer was unbelievable and worth every penny. Ordered a filet (very good but pricey) and probably the next time would go with lamb chops or the quail and try something a bit different. Excellent cocktails and pretty good wine list (ordered a Failla pinot) and jazz band at the front of the house was classic. Superb atmosphere!

We stayed over on Patriots Point and was near Mt Pleasant. Had a very good last night dinner at Bacco Italian Restaurant over there and a great mushroom tagliatelle pasta dish. Would eat there regularly if I lived nearby, just a very comfortable and hospitable Trattoria place.

Also in Mt Pleasant; Metto Coffee & Tea for coffee and breakfast items is a must.

Final observation, along King St in Charleston there are a number of retail shop vacancies and some restaurant vacancies but the three places we ate at were all packed and there was a lot of foot traffic. My guess is the Covid recovery in the area will happen fast. Initially, I wasn’t able to get reservations a couple of weeks out for either 167Raw or The Ordinary but went on RESY and did a standby reservation and was contacted the morning of for each and able to get in. The night we went to Halls we also walked (long walk) down to 167Raw and they had a five hour wait so reservations are a must! This was an invaluable thread so thanks to everyone who posted here.

1 Like

Bacco is always solid.
Dude, you should contact me next time. We live in Mt P

Scott, will do. We really enjoyed the area and will be back.

I’ve dined at Chez Nous twice in 2021 and there were no issues with either meal.

1 Like

Heading back to Charleston later this summer. Thinking of trying new (to me) places like Chasing Sage or Maison. Any intel on these or other newer spots? Have done most of the regular standouts mentioned in this thread numerous times and looking for something new.

Anybody?

We aren’t visiting restaurants right now.

Can you host?

Usually
Also our local blind tasting group is very good.