Chateau Montelena no red wine produced in 2020

I just spoke with a vineyard foreman at Montelena and he confirmed that Montelena will not be producing any 2020 reds. Sobering.

I am not making any Clarice Wine Company Pinot Noir and half of the Beau Marchais Wines have been lost.

Adam Lee
Clarice Wine Company

I am not making any Clarice Wine Company Pinot Noir and half of the Beau Marchais Wines have been lost.

Adam Lee
Clarice Wine Company

How are your grapes doing?

This is interesting. So what if a fire was not caused by “natural issues”, such as arson or a person’s sex-reveal goes haywire? These were man-made events and this gets into the territory of arguing with insurance companies like the old hurricane insurance: “was it rain or was it flooding” that caused the damage.

I picked on the 8th and tasted from the fermenation bin the other day. Delicious. It should be dry and go to barrel next week. Then I will send a sample of the actual wine to ETS and wait probably a month to find out if my wine passes the test. If it passes, I will be advertising the lab results. If it doesn’t pass, that’s an expensive loss. Wine gets dumped.

Sell off to a third party? Just thinking about loss reduction.

Thanks! Lots of good information on there. Hope everything works out for you and the others. The early glass looked really nice!

I should probably be careful as to how I word things. My knowledge is secondhand and my be flawed. But I think the intent is loss due to acts of nature outside of the control of the farmer. If the source of the wildfires would be questioned to determine act of nature, I don’t know. But the question as to if the crop was actually impacted will be questioned which was my point. Just because the fruit was rejected or if delays to pick caused the issues, then crop insurance may not provide coverage.

This would assume that you could get more bulking the wine out than it cost you to pick and ferment. Not being in the wine business I’m not sure if that’s a good assumption (but I could be wrong). From what I’ve heard/seen the bulk market sells wine at pennies on the dollar it seems.

Given that there is a market for wines with names like “Butter” and “Sexual Chocolate”, I don’t understand why they can’t sell this stuff off under a brand-name that capitalizes on the smokey aspect of the grapes. It could be called “Wildfire” or “Ole’ Smokey,” “Ash Barrel” or “Smoked Pole Red”. They could age it in bourbon barrels and market it as a complex, smokey, red to go with your cigar…

And PLEASE note that not all areas should be painted with the same picture. My heart truly goes out to all of those affected - as a long time customer of Chateau Montelena, and a friend of Adam Lee and the folks at Smith-Story and others, this news is quite sobering and depressing. I know how hard wineries work to do the best they can with their fruit - and to not have the chance to do what they do is unnerving.

All of that said, please do not paint the entire West Coast or even all of California as ‘affected’ by this - we have been incredibly fortunate down here in Santa Barbara County and though we didn’t experience a tremendous heat spike that has caused numerous growers to not harvest parts of certain varieties, for the most part, it is been a harvest that should yield the potential for great wines.

Cheers.

Not if you disclose it. If he buys declassified screaming eagle and says “this is sourced from an estate with multiple 100 point scores … they are not producing wine for the 2020 vintage because they are worried about long-term smoked taint, but the wine does not exhibit any smoke taint now and can be consumed with confidence in the short term.” He could probably easily get $50 per bottle if not more. For an NDA bottling, the only reputation hit would be from trying to hide it.

Toasted Cru?