Cheapskate Wednesday at WTSO

I took a flier on them. Me = guinea pig [snort.gif]

I bit too… Purdy label!! newhere

The Languedoc wine up now looks like a fun little cheap, daily drinker.

Domaine de Fabregues
Moulin de Vissandre
Coteaux du Languedoc
Rouge 2007

I’m tempted, though I’m sure its none too interesting.

dylan

Winemaker for Shadowood is also the winemaker for Mockingbird Hill.

I went 4, figured what the heck. I’ve wasted $40 worth of time by hitting F5 to refresh during the day. Might as well try some cheap wine for that $40.

EDIT–forgot to add, it passed my WTSO rule in that Mr. Jonathan H. Newman name was not on the page.

4 Las Rocas VV

05 Burgess Syrah

tempting

pass. I had it.

CT 88

yeah, CT was less than enthusiastic.

for $1 more I will just drink more 05 arcadian SH syrah

I gave mine away. The Holdredge blows it away.

This seems to be the theme lately and for quite some time. I remember discussing a wednesday selloff on “the other board” months (a year?) ago and it was pretty much the same, ho hum. With all the discounting going on you’d think WTSO would have better offerings.

The 2 wines that I purchased from them on a whim were letdowns. I am not doing that anymore.

They should have put in new offerings. Zzzzzzzzzz

1 purchase - Holdredge

How was that Shadowood? Its back up on WTSO today.

[cheers.gif]

FWIW, the CT notes on this wine are pretty remarkable for a $17 wine:

93 points: This was a pleasant surprise for the price point. All I can say is WOW. Upon opening, alot of fruit forward to the point of being a little sweet. After half an hour this wine was singing. The sweetness mellowed but the flavors became more pronounced. This has a great mouthfeel and is not too heavily oaked, with mild tannins. The second day, lost a little more of the fruit and everything became a little more integrated and still was a spectacular wine. This is a great wine at three times the price. I am going to buy more… from the great 2007 vintage. I am not sure how well this will age but I would consume these within a five year window.

92 points: wow. What a deal! This was great wine…fruity nose, good mouthfeel and range of flavors…nice.

90 points: I agree with the other ratings on the value. This wine is an amazing value for the price (less than $20 on WTSO). Inky purple color, with lively black berry and other dark fruits. Nice vanilla oak flavors on the nose and palate. The fruit is youthful and bright, but blends beautifully with the oak treatment. A slight vegetal note on the palate. Tannins and liveliness of fruit wouldn’t mind a couple years in bottle. But why wait? Bring it to dinner, because this youthful ink of a wine is screaming for some steak.

92 points: Rich aromas of berry and fruit, brooding scents of oak and vanilla on the mouth that are quite beyond its youthful years. Gorgeous. Definitely a steal at $17.

93 points: Outstanding wine! Upon poping the cork, the room filled with a wonderful fruit forward scent. Beautiful dark color almost black. great mouthfeel, with lots of dark fruit, blackberries, blueberries, cherries, plumbs. very well balanced, tannins just right. Nice long finish. This was an absolute steal at $17!

I ordered some on CSW but have not opened any yet. Based on the above notes I ordered a few more; and will definitely open one tonight. Not that my opinion matters… I’m some 32 y.o. punk who doesn’t know good juice from motor oil.

Spelling snob alert - They spelled CellarTracker incorrectly. go get’em Eric! [stirthepothal.gif]

“91.4 / 91.0 - CellerTracker Score”

Yeah but, have you ever given Valvoline’s 5w30 a 94? [cheers.gif]

Nope, only Mobil 1. [tease.gif] It’s good enough for the Space Shuttle…

Any thoughts on Chateau Graves de Pez Saint Estephe 2009 for $24.99?