Chef’s Table BBQ

We binge watched in one night.
Advice to the uninitiated, go to the original Scott’s in Hemingway. I love Rodney but the original blows away the Charleston location. It’s less than two hours away.
Get there early for the pork skins.
We take a cooler and buy in bulk—make sure they sauce it.
Then freeze in 1 pound batches and vac.

It’s a Tuesday night meal from the freezer that will make you smile (or weep)
Zinfandel [cheers.gif]

We’re glad to take folks to Hemingway any time!

Cellar door is always open

@sc0tt - would love to hear your thoughts. Aside from the fact that I’m considering ordering from Snow’s (like half of America now), I helped some friends out that ship via Goldbelly and I’m curious to see how the end-user experience is on BBQ items. I’ve tried bagels (Ross & Daughters), Fish, Bourbon cake, etc. but never bbq.

I’m gonna start this post by saying that I’ve ordered lots of gourmet foods over the years with mixed results. And as good as the documentary on Netflix claimed Snow’s is, I had my doubts. I’ll also state that as a native Texan I’ve had some of the best beef brisket all across this great state over several decades. And I will unequivocally say that this is the best Texas brisket I’ve ever had. After heating in the oven at 350° for a little over an hour, we took it out and I carved off a piece to check. The fat on the brisket literally melted in my mouth in a taste explosion I can only describe as unbelievable. The meat was tender, everything about it was perfect. I ordered the sauce, but honestly, you don’t need it. The meat speaks for itself. (100 pts. y’all)
2A5CB05E-25A0-49B3-9481-4D1405B1C808.jpeg
4382AC5B-85C8-4519-B9B3-AF8958CE837E.jpeg

Nice wine choice. Thanks for the review.

I actually liked brisket from La Barbecue via Goldbelly more than Snow’s.

I preferred Franklin’s brisket over Snow’s when I visited but it was very close IMO. Snow’s ribs were clearly better though. Aaron Franklin visited Snow’s during his PBS show because he liked their chicken.

I haven’t had Franklin’s in several years…it’s close. Edges out Pecan Lodge too, one of my other faves.

Yes! Their chicken was a standout. Though I wouldn’t refuse a plate of brisket.

Really great how different places have their own specialty. Had sausage at Louis Mueller that same day, on the way back🤘🏼.

I really just want to try grilling a pork shoulder steak like she did on the show. That sounds great

Well, all I can say is that ain’t Lexington bbq. (Just kidding, I am from North Carolina. :slight_smile:) Kudos to Snow’s for shipping, can’t wait.

I do miss Lex BBQ, especially the “brown.” Was a 75 min drive from my place in Durham, which was perfect with a 3 year old taking a nap on the way out. Car ride home resulted in banana pudding all over the car, but worth every minute champagne.gif

At the risk of sounding like a primitive backwards Midwesterner, my “problem” with Chef’s Table is that it tends to get quagmire’d in artsy-fartsy images of the subject pondering nature and life and such. Not every subject needs to be treated like Japanese cuisine replete with close-ups of water dripping from a leaf or the tick-tock of a shishi-odoshi. And yet someone behind Chef’s Table manages to resort to the same tired production values on virtually every episode including the one on Tootsie and Snow’s. Substitute dying tree silhouettes, repetitious close-ups of Tootsie’s weathered face and hands, and pre-dawn fires for the shishi-odoshi’s, and you have this episode. The Q’er in me just wants to hear Tootsie and her family talk about the wood they use, how long they season it before burning, the source of their meat and what makes it special, how they cook the meat (wrap? some shots clearly showed aluminum foil over the briskets but there was no mention of when they wrap, for how long, etc), how long the brisket rests, all the kinds of things that those of us who actually cook Q want to know. Rather than study (or know) the subject and evolve the production to suit the nature of the subject-which Tony Bourdain in particular excelled at-Chef’s Table continues to amble along lazily. I lack the patience for it.

I sort of agree with you Mitch. BBQ as art is perhaps less intriguing, given how many of us try to do our own.
I still enjoy what Chef’s table brings re production style & story, but an alternate behind the scenes/ alt series would be cool.

Retracted as unnecessary.

So you want Chef’s Table to not be Chef’s Table?

I’d suggest you watch YouTube or Aaron Franklin’s MasterClass or his most excellent series on PBS.

Also, make sure to watch Juan Likes Rice and Chicken.

No, I want Chef’s Table to mix things up a bit more. The episodes have too much same-ness to them. It’s a waste. It could be so much better with a little more substance. Some more meat on the proverbial bone.
If Chef’s Table is going to cover BBQ, they can do it in a way that is more fitting to BBQ and still be “Chef’s Table”.
It seems to me that many in this thread who expressed their enjoyment of the episode did so because they love Snow’s, not because they thought the portrayal and production was first-rate.

I always try to preface subjective opinions of mine as being just that and nothing more.

I don’t need your suggestions. What do you know about me or my knowledge of BBQ? I didn’t say I wanted to learn how to BBQ from the episode. I said that more in-depth coverage would make the show more interesting. I said that the production is too artsy. I will add that if shows were books, C’sT would be a coffee table book. Pretty to look at, but not much of substance. More for show-in and less for blow-in.

Did I do something to provoke you in some other thread? This is not the first time you have gutter-sniped at me. I always think that many of the snotty remarks on this Board are due to past conflicts. And please. don’t PM me. Not interested.

I am sorry if I offended you in this or another thread – it was unintentional. I apologize. Unfortunately my last line about Documentary Now didn’t convey any humor/good fun for you.

Interesting take, Mitch. I kinda liked the “Chef’s Tablization” of the content, but I’m wondering if it’s because I’ve seen 8 million rehashes of BBQ Brawl, etc. and it felt great to see the Michelin Star treatment of the content. Totally agree re: wanting to hear about the wood, seasoning, etc. but thought it was cool to see the story behind Tootsie. Also thought it was great that I didn’t see a set of tweezers in four straight episodes of Chef’s Table. Highlight for me was still Lenox Hastie; that guy is ground zero for how i like to cook.

I love the first two episodes. Would I like more info on techniques and “details” ? Yes. But I think this series in guided to wider audience not just us geeks.

All good Tim.
I should be in a better mood (than I am).
I got this message today;

Mitchell,

No sir! It will not be near that long. Would this coming spring work for you? Also, I received the PP payment, just wanted to let you know.

Thanks,

Tyler Shirley
Shirley Fabrication, LLC
4510 Virginia Drive
Tuscaloosa, AL 35404
205-799-0251