Chicago Restaurant Thread

Thank you.

Agree on Bavettes and the atmosphere is just so different from any of the other Chicago steakhouses. I’ve had good experiences at Swift and Sons as well.

If its got to be steak, I’d agree about Bavette’s being top. But, I’ve been to Maple & Ash a few times and I’d put it right up there, too,. But from what I remember, M&A’s corkage is pretty steep like $50.00/btl. A policy I hope they change. And Belinda Chang, who is fantastic, is no longer there.

JD

Bavette’s corkage is (was?) share a glass with another table.

I went to Chicago Cut once (and only once) and hated it. Agree on the river views, but waiter did the hard sell on the wine (“I recommend a bottle of red and white” was said before he announced his name or knew what we wanted to order), steaks were not prepared to temp, specific requests not listened to, etc.

FWIW, I hated Mastro’s too.

The funny thing is, I think I’m relatively easy to please.

I like bavettes. I don’t love it though. I like a little more classic of a feel. Something about how trendy it is and how impossible it is to get a reservation rub me the wrong way. I also don’t think the service there matches what you get at RPM, which is important to me when talking expensive steakhouses.

tbh, i don’t get that excited about any of the hogsalt/sodicoff places. gilt/bavettes/maudes/aucheval IMO all good, but overhyped. Glad our city has them, but maybe a once yearly visit is about all i like.

A lot of people say the same of land and sea dept. I love them. Maybe they are just more my speed?

Can I come sit next to you and watch you drink it? [snort.gif]

Victor: Mike Sula’s review of a new steakhouse in Old Irving - good and well priced

Nowhere in Sula’s review does he address the flavor or tenderness of the meat— just the crust and interior flesh appearance. Based on a history with G&G (feh), I would pass based on this info.

Fancy pants. I’m definitely going to give it a shot. I’ve had good steaks at G&G, but not great (wet aged and all) and I presume the steaks are sourced from the same place, but I’m curious and am happy to support (at least once) a new local business

Just seeing this thread.

Schwa was probably one of my favorite meals in Chicago. Would only bring 1/2 bottles of wine though and a decent 6-pack to share with the kitchen, they’ re not Somms and were actually cool with me picking the pairing by course and talking them through why.

For steak, can’t go wrong with either Gibsons or Bavettes, depends on if you want a more classic steakhouse or trendy experience.

OK. Likely to be at Gibson’s this Saturday night, unless plans change. Bring a glass.

Would love to but in Philly.

George

Didn’t love Mastro’s either but they did allow me to bring in a 3.0l of wine (97 Montelena I think) with very reasonable corkage for a bachelor party. Have not been to RPM yet though I’ve heard good things. What was the David Burke’s Primehouse in the James Hotel was my favorite until Burke’s separation and haven’t been since. Benny’s Chophouse served up some really good steak last fall but I don’t think they allow corkage. The thing is, for me, if I’m going to go to a steakhouse in Chicago (and I’ve been to a bunch) I’d really like to bring my own wine and not have to pay Chicago prices on both the steak and wine.

JD

Just saw that Bavette’s is opening in Vegas.

Also, another Hogsalt restaurant coming (“A River North Izakaya”) for all you fans :slight_smile:

The corkage was very driven by what Belinda wanted. From what I’ve heard, this will change when they put in place the next head somm

While I have never been, I’ve heard very good things about the food (steaks) at Bouefhaus. That being said, I don’t think that they are very byob friendly.

That is a funny thing. I hear that’s only true at Olive Garden and The Bristol.

You forgot Applebee’s. At least, before they discontinued their riblets.

Just my 2 cents. Obviously the finest steak house in the Chicago land area is the ultra hot Steak and Vine in La Grange. Recently featured own the Mancow show and WGN !!! If you insist on going to another spot in the city, RPM Steak is the best to me. Highest quality steaks and sides. More interesting “other” entrees.Great service too. In the interest of full disclosure I’m a LEYE fan boy. Maple and Ash had great food but the menu is very limited and the atmosphere reminds me of a Las Vegas night club. We also loved Swift and Sons. Great food, service and atmosphere. More subdued than Maple and relaxed. GT Prime was fine. Excellent service but I was less thrilled with the food. I would never go to Bavettes due to the corkage. Totally f*cking patronizing. Not really a fan of Gibson either. Just too traditional for me. I never crave huge steaks with no sides.

Haven’t been to Nick’s restaurant yet but imho RPM Steak is the best around of the restaurants I’ve patronized.