Chinese food and Burg (Comte Liger, Damoy Beze, Roulot)

Whenever you LA guys post pictures of Chinese food it always looks so good. I wish I could find that here.

I understand - Mark.

For me personally , I prefer to steam cook my live Atlantic Lobsters - female and about 1.5 lb to 2 lb each in size - for just about 8 minutes; and pour away slowly the juice from the plate. Then add a few drops of boiling peanuts oil cooked with mince garlic on the lobster meats and serve it immediately.

If you have 8 persons for the dinner-wine event, the best way is to serve 4 lobsters. Cook and serve them twice 6 - 8 minutes apart.

It will go well with any white Burgundy ( including Chablis ).

Maybe the hoisin is the culprit.

I view it like ketchup. Didn’t apply it to the beautifully roasted pig at all.

C’mon out Nick! We’ll do a wine dinner. :slight_smile:

I am just guessing. The 1st step should be slightly coated the pieces of the lobster-meats with rice-powder and put them in boilling oil for about 8 to 12 seconds ( what they call : in-oil in Chinese cooking term ).

2nd step would be : stir-fried - in low temperate - many, many pieces of gingers ( slightly crushed with the flat-side big Chinese knift ), 1 inches long shollots plus 2 to 3 inches-long green onion in the Wok and cooked for 2 to 3 minutes ( what they call : up-the-Wok in Chinese cooking term ).

Then chef would add the pieces of lobster-meats into the wok; nd really stir-fried everything in extremely high temp until they are just cook.

This kind of dish, needs g-crus whilte from H. Boillet … champagne.gif

Mark…the Damoy should go well with the heads of roast squab - which is my favourite part the the whole roast squab.

If you look at the picture of post No. 1, you could see the chef placed 2 of the heads togather when the dish was served.

I normally bite on the head just softly, it taste delicious and it demands a sip of an aged Damoy Chambertin to make the combination more complex. pileon

That could be devastating !

Peter said :

The 1st step should be slightly coated the pieces of the lobster-meats with rice-powder and put them in boilling oil for about 8 to 12 seconds ( what they call : in-oil in Chinese cooking term ).

The purpose of this process ( called in-oil in Chinese cooking term) is to make sure that the piece of meat of the lobster would stick togather with the pieces of the shell when chef stir-fry them in the Wok.

IS THAT HOW they get them to never stick!!! dayam. caramel secret learned… good to know. [cheers.gif]

Peter…why “female” lobster. I can guess (the roe, which I love) , but any other reason? I go to Maine a lot and buy lobsters on the docks…I always hope for females for the roe, but…have never bothered to ask for them there. (Though I have considered it, and think I will from now on.) Do you also detect a difference in the meat?

And, so you pour garlic oil on the lobster…similar to lemon-butter sauce? Or do you take all the meat out of the shell first and drizzle the oil? It sounds good, but I’m not sure I understand what you do…and am always looking for improving on perfection: steamed lobster and butter/lemon. For me, doing anything to an “Atlantic” lobster than butter/oil…is a negative…and a waste of the lobster. So, I ask.

Probably for the roe.

The oil isn’t really a sauce, it’s almost like a heating element. It’s done quite often with steamed chinese seafood dishes. Not like dipping lobster in butter. It’s not a garlic oil in the sense you’re thinking. Hard to explain if you don’t try it. You really don’t taste the oil at all.

Dipping butter with lobster is as foreign to Chinese as I guess pouring hot oil on lobster for Americans.

yeah…but if it’s good…and adds the subtle garlic…it’s worth a try.

Some people I know, including my wife, aren’t big fans of dipping lobster into butter…but I grew up eating it that way…as my favorite food, so…

the roe is great stuff…and luckily for me, no one else I usually eat with particularly likes it, so I get it from them.

would like to understand the “hot oil on lobster” better…to try it next time I’m in Maine.

at the end of most chinese steamed seafood dishes (fish especially), you heat up a hot pan with oil, toss in some garlic, soy sauce (if you want) and scallions. After about 10 seconds you just pour it over your seafood. It’s typically done so that you have a little extra flavor (not much) but so that the seafood is then hot from the oil.

I actually have never seen it with lobster… but i’m sure it’s done

It is a must ( including soy sauce ) for all stem-fish dishes.

It is optional for lobster. I prefer it but very slightly done as it will also make the pieces of meat look better. flirtysmile

The meat of the female lobster goes nicer with Volnay as both of them are more feminine; whereas the meat of the male lobster go better with Pommard as both of them are more firm… [wink.gif]

the roe is great stuff…and luckily for me, no one else I usually eat with particularly likes it, so I get it from them

Me too…I normally add a little bite of red vinegard to it ( the roe).

And, so you pour garlic oil on the lobster…similar to lemon-butter sauce? Or do you take all the meat out of the shell first and drizzle the oil? It sounds good, but I’m not sure I understand what you do…and am always looking for improving on perfection: steamed lobster and butter/lemon. For me, doing anything to an “Atlantic” lobster than butter/oil…is a negative…and a waste of the lobster. So, I ask.

For stem lobster dish - Cantonese style, we normally cut the lobster in pieces. We slice tail part into 2 and cut it into 3 piece each, 4 pieces of each claws; 4 pieces of the meat under head; and put the roe onto 2 pieces of the head-shell.

We arrange and place all the 20 pieces on a plat ( in the shap similar to the whole labster ) steam it for 8 minutes. Pour away slowly all the juice on the plate; and then add on the boiling oil on the pieces of the meat and the roe before serving.

Is the lobster dead when you cut it…or already cooked? Seems like a lot of work compared to just steaming a lobster and pulling/picking it apart…especially if the lobster is still alive when you cut it.

I will try this hot oil method…but…not sure how…as I serve my lobsters steamed and whole… though split down the middle length-wise…AFTER cooking.

With a cleaver, it takes like 5 seconds… Also as most dishes are shared family style, having the lobster(s) cut allows the usage of a serving spoon or chopsticks.

Another prep method that is popular in Cantonese menus is similar to the previous mentioned versions but finished in the wok with heavy garlic, ginger, green onions, and a little bit of red chili.

Thanks for Cary… champagne.gif

We eat the lobster dish with chopsticks only.

We’ll be sure to invite the Tucson boys so they can keep us in check :wink: