Classic Manhattan

Thanks Tom! I think BiB 50% alc levels are a happy place for Manhattans for sure. That extra bite of that alcohol and rye spice just works.

I experimented with a 68.8% Archive Heaven Hill 10 y/o that lord knows needed a little ice to open up and dial back the burn, (20% wheated mash bill-so, old Fitzgerald base). Between ice and wheat, nothing classic about it. I think the real heresy was using such a tasty sipper in a mixed drink at all, but it was fun to try.

Tom,

I see the OOH BnB here, but how do I know if it’s the non-chill filtered? Does the bottle look any different?

MC - they are the same; the bonded is non-chill filtered. you’ll see it called out on the back label. to me, it’s not appropriate for a manhattan since it’s the main spirit and it’s not very flavorful - it’s quite plain. i like it for shaken drinks however as it provides correct flavor and sufficient booze, and it’s dirt cheap.

1 Like

Hmmm. I thought you had mentioned that you were into the OOH BnB in your Manhattans??

Side note…Rittenhouse must have a supply chain issue. It’s impossible to come by here.

i’m sure i’ve tried it, it’s fine. but that’s not why i’d have it in my bar. and if you didn’t already have it i’d not go and recommend you buy some for manhattan or similar variations.

this side of the river doesn’t seem to have a rittenhouse issue. it doesn’t travel very far so doubt it’s a supply issue.

Re: Rittenhouse. So weird. I know it wasn’t always readily available. But for the last 2-3 years, I’ve had no trouble whatsoever. For the past 3-4 months it hasn’t been available at any of my local liquor stores. Luckily I had a couple of bottles, but I’ve been out since before NYE and have been subbing High West Double Rye in my Manhattans.

how’s the high west? not sure i’ve ever had. always looking for a substitute.

1 Like

I think it’s very good. But I prefer Rittenhouse. I usually have a bottle of both handy. Switching up every once in a while keeps my Manhattan’s fresh.

1 Like

Well, my impression was wondrich thought it was a new version that was an improvement. It has a red top with non-chill filtered on the front label.
8ED90C12-EFA0-4CD4-A6C5-58966FF65112.jpeg

1 Like

new as in 2020 the brand line was refreshed. prior bottles were replaced; base rye was increased a few points, bonded and apparently an overproofed as well. all non-chill.

more details here; Old Overholt Straight Rye Whiskey Repositioning | Beverage Dynamics

point being, if you’re buying old overholt today, these the the ones that are available to you.

2 Likes

Heaven Hill workers were on strike for 6 weeks that ended late Oct. Could be the ripple effect of that and the Holiday buying surge

I hadn’t seen it for a while but I’m pretty sure it was in stock at Stew Leonard’s in Paramus and Clifton over the last 2 weeks

Very interesting. Would make sense based on timing. I’m doing dry January, so I haven’t been in a liquor store since late December. I’d be interested to see if it’s back on the shelves.

My friend just turned me on to a walnut manhattan. 2 oz bourbon or rye, 1 oz nocino, 1 oz sweet vermouth. I think I’m going to use less nocino and vermouth when I make it again. It was delicious, but a little too sweet. A great cold weather drink.