Classic Martini

I am with you on the dirty Martini. I really detest when i explain how i want it prepared, specify olives, but not dirty and am then served a glass of saltwater.
I had one bartender get creative with the instructions 4 parts gin, 1 part vermouth 3 olives not dirty. I was served a brown concoction of sweet vermouth, olive juice and olives.
There is just enough salinity on the olive itself for the drink.
As i keep around a dozen gins in the house, i make mine with whatever gin moves me. I used the scale the other day and i am probably closer to 3.5 gin to 1 part vermouth at home.

Complained about this upthread. The sweet vermouth in combo with a warm drink should result in the revocation of any bartender’s license.

I would have to agree with this . . . at least to call it a martini. My ratio is 3 to 1 and I prefer Plymouth, Botanist or Beefeater. Not a fan of olives so I always go with the lemon twist. I also like to twist the rind above the glass to get a bit of lemon aroma.

A twist is good. A lemon peel can turn the drink bitter, so I just express the lemon oil into the drink and run the peel along the rim.
I do like olives, on the side.

Silly question. The Gibson has its own name Why are there not different names for martini with olive or with twist? To me, they are quite different.
Also, either of the two the original, or were they born as twins?

How long have you been waiting to be introduced to Wikipedia? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_(cocktail)You’re welcome :wink:

Feeling very dim now, while that’s an interesting history of the Gibson, i don’t see how it answers my two questions

• why are there not different names for martini with twist and martini with olive
  • which came first olive or twist (go, say that out loud quickly :rofl:)

Because you can have your martini with a twist or :olive:. But need to order a Gibson for an onion.

Tom, what Richard is asking is that, if a martini can have either an olive or a twist, why would adding an onion now make it called something other than a martini?

Tradition. I don’t think this is difficult to understand. Logic and alcohol don’t always go together.
If you want to contemplate something think about why some people think a martini doesn’t need vermouth or can be made with vodka. I know we have Churchill to blame for the former.

I’m not contemplating anything. Just helping Richard get an answer.

Expensive martini…

Yes, the famed Coche Puligny-Martigny

3 to 1. Martin Miller, Dolin. I like a twist with a dash of orange bitters.

Thanks for trying. Yes, Im in the ‘why is an onion not like an olive’ mode LOL. Also curious as to which came first, olive or twist.
But Im learning to live with disappointment and not expecting an answer (other than alcohol and logic dont mix).

But what’s everyone’s favorite martini glassware??

Riedel cocktail glasses about 4.5 ounce.

I’m a big fan of the Schott Zwiesel Tritan (see below). I love the shape and I spill a lot less than the V shaped glasses. I’m also really like Riedel’s Nick and Nora martini glass, very classic.

1 Like

Give me a Nick and Nora all day long. Martini glasses are beautiful and basically non-functional IMHO.