Clerc Milon ? ...

If I was buying Clerc today. I’d grab the 2010, 2016 and 2018. All are better than 2005.

Will look for those…just bought a magnum of the 2000 based on the board’s feedback, thank you!

That was the precise vintage I investigated while reading this thread earlier today, as that’s the only vintage I currently hold of this wine. I won’t touch either of my two bottles for another 5 years.

Deleted.

Any thoughts on 1989 Clerc? I have two left.

Based on all the useful feedback from this thread, I bought 2016 and 2018 Clerc Milon and opened the 2018 for learning purposes…OOOWEE…
N: amazing florals (violets, lilacs), licorice, and a little spearmint thrown in…the florals lasted for the whole 3-4hr. time span that I spent sipping this beautiful young wine
T: accessible, velvety tannins with good mid palate weight; a melange of dark fruit flavors…not overblown at all, great balance
Clearly will improve over time, but not a crime to open one today.
Up next, the 2016
I’m so happy with this Clerc Milon

Costco had/has the 2016 for $70, so I decided try one to see if it’s worth going deeper. Holy Mackerel! Definitely in my wheelhouse!

I unfortunately haven’t tried the 1990–it seems I need to…but I think the 1989 is one of my favorite $100ish and below Bordeaux wines of all time. I pick it up whenever I get the chance. I wouldn’t hesitate to open one, though I wouldn’t feel like I had to rush, either. [cheers.gif]

1 Like

Thanks Mark!

I opened a 1998 tonight. It tasted faded, boring and underwhelming. Not off, but just limping along in the last part of its life. I bought it at auction, so unknown storage may have been an issue.

At ~$75 is it one’s preferred bottle of Bordeaux? That’s what keeps me from picking it up. D’armailhac feels comparable but is $25 cheaper.

Am I missing out?

I had a 98 a couple of years ago that a friend had held since release and it was solid. I would note that the vintage in the Medoc was a touch hard, maybe sort of like 1988, and not as rich as other years.

1 Like

I still have a mini vertical of 88, 89 and 90 that typifies those vintages and they are all good.