Clos Rougeard Moving Forward

The reason why this is allocated and harder to source in France.

French restaurants get first dibs and stumble over each other at every releases. They must know a thing or 2 about the good stuff.

Who makes the second best Cab Franc in the Loire Valley?

Baudry.

Iā€™d actually say they are the best overall producer given the quality and the breadth of their stable of wines.

For ā€œLe Closā€, in the UK:

2009 - 50.00 GBP per bottle
2010 - 55.00 GBP per bottle
2013 - 145.00 GBP per bottle
2014 - 190.00 GBP per bottle

Given the excitement over 2015 and the fact that itā€™s the last vintage with an undisputed Foucault connection, Iā€™m betting on more than 5%! But letā€™s seeā€¦

And thatā€™s where I fall as well. How many bottles of Grezeaux can I get for one Rougeard?

Granted my negative view of Rougeard is lately influenced by the decidedly mediocre showing of the 2012 Clos. Total waste of money.

Wow, crazy pricing on the 2014!

I paid $145 USD. I think I paid $200-$225 for the Poyeaux. I passed on the Bourg at $325.

My personal favorite, and the one I buy, is Thierry Germain. But then, Iā€™m not a huge cab franc guy. Wonderful mixing grape though. So thereā€™s only so much money Iā€™m willing to ā€œwasteā€. blahblah

Thierry supposedly has been heavily influenced by Charly Foucault . That, coupled with the exceptional vineyards he has recently added to his stable of wines, will over time put him on par or very close to Baudry. The ā€œClos de lā€™Echelierā€ and ā€œMĆ©moiresā€ cuvees, the matter with vines around 115 years of age, are really worth following. Prices are creeping up fast, however.

1 Like

Yes, I buy the Memoires. Very good wines, imho. To be quite honest, if Iā€™m really in a Cab Franc mood I tend to go for older Figeac. [stirthepothal.gif]

I love Rougeard, but Iā€™m a dude on a budget.
I love Baudry.

[swoon.gif]

Wow, I was offered the Clos at $140, it didnā€™t really cross my mind to buy them, thatā€™s insaneā€¦ In the $300ā€™s for the Bourgā€¦ I was offered the Blanc for $190ā€¦ good for them but shocking overall.

Good thing I still own a bunch, Iā€™ll shift to Collierā€¦

I used to buy Rougeard as a cheaper alternative to Cheval Blanc, now Le Bourg is almost as expensive as CB.

Just wanted to thank the participants for a very interesting read (including the links).

Pricing went above my comfort level with the 2009 vintage and I havenā€™t really followed the estate for a while so most of this was news to me.

Plus 1

And I love Raffault, Germain, and Breton as well.

I think this kind of encapsulates why it matters what the members of this board used to pay for Rougeard.

At $30, I drank a lot of Rougeard. When a bottle was ok, good, or really good, instead of amazing, I didnā€™t sweat it. Plenty of them were amazing. And if I had to say whether Baudry, Rougeard, or Breton was my favorite, my honest answer would be ā€œto close to tellā€.

Increased global demand often starts with stories about the wines, rather than the wines themselves. Rayas, for me personally, is a great example of this. And as stories grow, they often elevate very good wineries to a status that isnā€™t really realistic. The wines shift from really great wines to mythical. I hate the term ā€œunicornā€ wines. And part of that is that when the story moves to myth, the tail is wagging the dog. I donā€™t get to just enjoy the bottle for what it is, it has to be BEYOND ALL OTHER WINES regionally speaking. And while my last time tasting Rougeard was a ridiculously good 2010, in any region with a challenging enough climate to make winemaking interesting, consistent greatness is not realistic. Nor is the idea that one winery is the ā€œMichael Jordanā€ of the region.

1 Like

Great post, Marcus. I totally agree with this. The huge chase for these wines (I wonā€™t use the terrible ā€œUā€ word) makes them not only not values, but is often filled with disappointment if they are anything less than other wines from the area. Gonon is a good example of this. I think the wines are really excellent, but they arenā€™t THAT much better than comparable wines from Faury, Monier/Perreol, etc. yet the pricing is silly now.

For my palate, Gonon is far better than these references wines.

I have the misfortune of having bought single bottles of the following, with original price and CT auction valuation listed:

2005 Rougeard Clos ($48/$280)
2005 Rougeard Poyeaux ($62/$450)
2009 Gonon St. Joseph ($38/$330)
2010 Gonon St. Joseph ($38/$330)

Now, one might say that is good fortune, but the reality is at current values, these are basically too expensive to drink!

If I drink them, then I miss out of $1k of profit. But if I donā€™t, Iā€™ll never have the opportunity to taste them again.

And if they are anything short of transcendent, Iā€™ll be kicking myself for not selling!

Itā€™s possible, I suppose, that people are paying 300-350 for Gonon at auction, but are you sure thatā€™s not the VV? You can get a bottle those retail for @135 in my experience. Theyā€™re not that rare - itā€™s not a tiny production.

Iā€™m just using the Auction Value from CellarTracker, without serious investigation of the data.

6 or 12 months ago the Rougeards were running $200/$300 and the Gonons were more like $150. Which seems more plausible.

1 Like