Colorado Wine, worth the trip?

Colterris is just awful. it is shocking that people are in their wine club and I found their staff to be pretentious. By and large, I think colorado wineries are still figuring it out. I really like storm cellar and with kabinett going up in price, I would bet the value will be there in time. Sparklers at sauvage spectrum are also good, especially the red, and mesa park finz is delicious. That said, Peche was very disappointing. Very expensive–wine and food-- and quality was not great. Obviously capitalizing on being the only game in town. It is very peculiar to me that bookcliff has such distribution as it is barely drinkable.

Yea Colterris isn’t worth it. Storm Cellar I’m torn on. I think the wines are decent, but the acid isn’t there. If they can get that up I’d be more interested.

I am surprised by your impression of Peche. I would put it not quite on par with restaurants like Tavernetta and Olivia. Definitely better than Barolo, though obviously not the wine list.

We’ve been maybe 4 or 5 times now and found it very fairly priced. We generally get out of there having spent 30% less than in Denver and having eaten 30% more food than we’d get in Denver. I haven’t had something that I thought was poorly done. We’re going up again in a month - will reevaluate.

Yeah don’t disagree regarding the acid. Seems to be a problem with Colorado wine in general. Yeah dunno… I had heard great things about Peche. Wine list wasn’t great and was like 3x+ retail which I think is quite lofty. I remember they had a guigal cotes du rhone for like 80 dollars or something. I unfortunately don’t have a clear recollection of what I didn’t like about the food besides the spices just didn’t really work and it was really quite simple. I haven’t been to any of those places that you mention. By way of italian, i think il posto is better than peche by a wide margin. I use atelier by radex as a benchmark since I eat there fairly regularly and prices are similar and peche was not nearly as good. Will have to check out tavernetta and olivia!!

I haven’t been to Il Posto in a while, but stopped going a few years back because I didn’t think they were giving you bang for your buck. Been meaning to try Atelier for a long time - will make an effort to get over there and check it out.

Yikes on the CdR pricing. I hadn’t seen anything that bad up there, but honestly I expect 3xretail at Denver restaurants. I have trouble finding a restaurant that doesn’t charge that markup…

Yeah, Il posto was bomb when they were in the hole in a wall spot atelier is now. They got all fancy when they moved to rino and their prices moved in step. Atelier is the best french in denver by far that I have had and their wine list is generally pretty good though I wish they had more aged options… my recollection is they are 1.5-2x retail. Food used to be quite cheap too on a relative basis but prices have unfortunately moved up since covid. Number 2 french would be Leroux. The wine scene in denver generally blows.

We used to love going to Leroux for HH when we lived downtown - I do miss that. Bistro Vendome is moving to Park Hill and I haven’t been there in years, so I’ve got to check them out again.

Also, if you’re up in palisades again and don’t want to revisit Peche, I’d be interested in your thoughts on Bin 707 (James Beard, blah blah). I found it good, but didn’t like it as much as Peche. Their wine list is much more fleshed out with a huge Colorado wine showing, though pricing is, I believe 2-3x. IIRC, the server I spoke with said they charge a lower markup in off season.

1 Like

So I know this posting was a year or so old, but i came across it as I’m in Palisade for the peach festival, and we ate at Peche tonight because i saw this recommendation. I couldn’t say enough, dinner was fantastic! Great recommendation. Thank you!

Glad to hear it! We havent been in a while (just had our first kid), but it was always so consistently delicious and reasonably priced.

Also hope to see you at one of our wine group get togethers in the future!

Yeah i thought for the food was delicious. My niece had the kona kanpachi, and the presentation alone created quite an experience for her 21st birthday that I think she’ll remember. And considering the amount of food I thought it was decently priced compared with Denver restaurants. Congrats on the kid! I know you said one was on the way, but hope mom and baby are healthy and all are doing well!

1 Like

I know! Work has had me out of town a lot lately, but settling down for a month or so. I can’t make the one in September, committed to the Palmer Lake wine event that day, but hopefully can make the next one.

1 Like