Consolidated 2016 Beaujolais TNs

are you talking in general about the vintage or specifically to balagny?

she had problems with her fermentations in 14 and 15, that’s why she did not release all the parcels of fleurie individually like 13 and 16

More in general.

had the 16 yvon metras beajolais village and boy was it volatile. the nose is all about pickled green beans, but on the palate it sure was delicious with bright red fruits that are of surprising density, pretty serious tannins and huge acidity on the finish. not for the faint of heart…

Anyone ever heard of Domaine Rochette? Will be visiting Beaujolais in May, with appointments at Lapierre, Thivin and the aforementioned Rochette. Do you think any 2015’s will still be available or is it all about ‘16 by now?

Just tried the 16 Thivin. Definitely tastes a lot wilder than the 15. Much more herbal with fennel notes and florals with better acidity in the mid palate. Loving it.

Kristoffer,

I was briefly in Beaujolais last June and had an appointment at Lapierre with the delightful Camille. They were showing the 2016’s then. Given the high demand for this producer they may even be onto the '17s at the estate by now, though other producers are probably on the '16s still.

A friend who I travelled with stayed on in Ville-Morgon for a couple of nights and went into L’Atelier du Cuisinier which has a great selection of local wines by the glass and good food. He was talking to the guy there and mentioned his interest in Guy Breton and the guy told him ’ oh, he’s just up the road, very friendly, just pop in to see him in the morning’ which my friend duly did. He had long wanted to try the Breton wines so was a little apprehensive (also given his minimal command of French) but Guy was as welcoming as suggested, and thankfully for my friend had an assistant Jocelyn who spoke English well. Guy was showing his '13s and '14s then, so he and some others may be showing '15s by now?

guy breton is so underrated. his 2009 morgon vv is spectacular. they are elegant wines even in the solar vintages.

just seeing some 17’s being offered…Lapierre the last 2 days

Lapierre’s Julienas-was that a one vintage production due to low volumes that year, or will he be producing more from that site?

2016 Lapierre Morgan – Brilliant wine. Sappy and eager with crisp raspberry and black cherry. Not full like the easy drinking, riper 15’s. Even a touch of tannin on the finish. Could drink it all day! 92pts.

Online articles said it was a one-time bottling due to low volumes (hail), but I noticed one retailer selling a 2017 bottling. There was hail in 2017 as well, so makes sense.

2016 Metras Madame Germaine - very light, pretty and popping with fresh strawberry. Seems like the anti bojo as extraction does not seem to be the goal here. Nice acid zing, but also has an interesting silkiness which smooths it out on the palate. A bit of earthiness and minerality provokes an interesting intellectual excercise as I tried to put it all together. Really different and I’m a fan.

2016 Jean-Claude Lapalu Alma Mater

Really one of the best Beaujolais I’ve had in awhile. Seemingly mid weight but this was just packed overflowing in aroma and oh so fine pure fruit. Darker cherry, but so nimble with plenty of acid lift and tannin structure. Just a hint of earthiness notes which provided some additional interest. Elevated bojo for sure, and worth the $50 which is saying something for the region. I’d buy more if it were available anywhere.
3FABEE22-6383-4029-95E4-D689FEF62000.jpeg

Just had a lovely 2016 Foillard Corcelette last night. Delightful nose of smashed fruit leading to a palate of slightly crunchy red fruit and medium acidity.
Not profound, but just a pleasure to drink on a Wednesday night.

Corcelette is one of my favorites regardless of vintage. Drinking pleasure is a big reason why.

Why torment us with the unattainable?
rolleyes

I’d think quite a few older bojo are no longer available…I skipped 17 because of the price and I hadn’t opened one yet to know what was in bottle. I think it’s an interesting wine that should be on the radar at least. It’s a wine I’ll buy in 18 though. Fass imports it, so it’s a buy when offered or never proposition.

Just had the 16 Foillard Cote du Puy the other night:

Popped, poured, and let sit in the glass for 30 minutes. Really terrific bottle of beaujolais loaded with aromas of bright red fruits like cranberry, cherry, and huckleberry. Palate has some real grip which marries perfectly with the cherry and raspberry fruit. The finish has just enough acidity to keep you coming back to the glass. 91pts.

2016 Jean Foillard Cuvée Corcelette

Opens with fresh crunchy red fruit, a dash of white pepper, rose water and a trace of black tea. It’s a touch carbonic on the PnP but this dissipates with some air. Thicker frame compared to the Cote du Py which I prefer, but rather pretty and a great buy all the same.

Fairly certain Foillard is my favorite producer of Beaujolais. And I particularly like the style in 2016

Should have bought some 750mls, instead I only bought mags since my son was born in 2016.

Thanks for the note.

Kris