Cooking wine my wife chose tonight

Ha!
I had the same response after I expressed my chagrin over her using the 90 Tertre-Roteboeuf…
[wow.gif]

rolleyes

SIMPLE solution. Go to the grocery store. Buy a case of cheap wine. Label it cooking wine. Problem solved.
Not that difficult.

I have what I expect is by now an oxidised 1990 Pegau which probably would be a good cooking bottle.

It’s not a problem around our house. First check the left overs from the last few nights and if nothing works, open and use something with a French name you can’t pronounce. They always work best in sauces anyway.

I tried that one. The result was "so you’re telling me that I’m not good enough for. The good stuff? "

We had a Cos d’Estournel tasting in Telluride a couple years ago and someone brought the 2003. Talk about a tannic fruit bomb, it went right into Diane’s beef bourguignon that we had a couple days later.

Had some risotto made with As Sortes Godello once…it was awesome.

When my wife and I were dating, I put 2 boxes of wine in her cellar: one labeled “Amy” the other not. Apparently the label was hard to read. One time I got there late for a party and she had opened a just released 1997 Insignia. When I politely pointed out that it was from the wrong box, she said “No big deal. It isn’t very good.” (It was great, it was just way too young at the time.)

I hope you refrained from telling her that :wink:

Moi? Refrain? newhere

I made the mistake of buying some '90’s burgs from a recent auction as the prices seemed great. Had a '96 Leflaive Mersault in the frig… my wife opened it to use for sauteing mushrooms… worst part was the it was completely shot, almost sherry and the mushrooms did suffer.

Similar thing happened to me (I’m sure this has happened to all of us at one time or another). My partner felt terrible and bought a package of color coded dots to put on bottles that were deemed safe. Now we have a separate rack for things that are safe to drink, bring to a friends house, use for cooking, etc. and it’s never been an issue since we got a separate rack. But she also doesn’t get a “I’m not good enough for the other wine” attitude. She knows I’d gladly open anything with her, so if she waits until I’m home, it’s not a problem.

I’m sure they didn’t complain! [wink.gif]

I keep a separate rack of wines that my husband can go to for drinking or cooking. However, he knows enough about wine to stay away from the cults in my woman cave. All of you should spend some time teaching your wives about wine. Aren’t you embarassed to to let the world know that you buy great wine and do not explain to the “little woman” something about the juice?

My wife forbids me to touch a separate rack.

I’m more worried about the cleaning lady and the construction guys. With regard to my family–wife and adult kids, it’s more of an “ask first” vs a “no need to ask” category. The ask first is more of an issue of “is it ready” or “will it work with what I have planned” than a “no you can’t drink that one” thing.

John, you are a (rare) gentleman and a scholar!

Well, at least one person thinks so. Can I quote you?

[rofl.gif] [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]

I like Craig.