Copper River - Incoming

Price?

Wow, the power of marketing!

Some of the best salmon I’ve ever had were troll caught fish out of Half Moon Bay. The commercial salmon fishing season is currently open in California, but I’m sure it makes more sense to air-freight fish in from Alaska.

Rick, it’s not just marketing, I’ve had all the various types and sources many times, and for whatever reason I really like the CR. But you’ve reminded me that we haven’t gone over to HMB in a long time, need to rectify that, and grab some salmon while we’re there. Couple of booths at the local farmer’s markets that sell the fresh fish too.

First Copper River of the season I have seen at the Torrance-Sky Park Costco…13.99lb. A bit higher than last year but I grabbed a couple for this weekend.

Cheers!
Marshall

$14.99 at Costco in the suburbs of Chicago.

I bought the copper river and some king salmon from Costco. I’ve always been a huge fan of the CR but wow…I think the King Salmon might be the better option. It’s thicker and incredibly tender. Vacuum sealed some and threw them in the freezer.

I much rather have wild King than CR Sockeye. By the way who else got Yukon River last week ? Like hooking up with that crazy old GF. Delicious !

Picked up some CR from our fish monger today, $16.99/lb.

Going to simply grill with some Himalayan salt on a cedar plank.

Which of these SQN whites would you think might pair best?

2008 Kolibri
2010 The Monkey
2011 The Moment

$24.99 for CR is best I’ve seen here in CT. Local Costco hasn’t had it. Hoping soon.

CR is still above $30 at eataly NYC

but they sold me some unreal king collars last week for “fish bone” prices - under $5 for almost 3 pounds. these eat so well. rich, fatty, intense flavor. oven roast at 350 for 20 minutes, then blast under the broiler.

At my local Bristol Farms CR Sockeye was $25 and CR King was $50 per lb!!

I bought some sockeye and it came out perfect. As others have said, it isn’t as forgiving as king. Over cook it at all and its super dry.

CR sockeye was $10.99/lb for whole fish (5 lbs) at Gemini (Seattle). As expected, we rocked out with our sock out tonight.

$14.99/lb at our neighborhood Albertson’s. Grilling it up tonight with a shitty 2006 Oregon Pinot. champagne.gif

Someone was kind enough to bring Copper River salmon to our Champagne tasting/pizza party last night; I put it in the pizza oven to cook it. Delicious.

Bruce
Salmon.jpg

Is that a pizza oven or fireplace?

I was told pizza oven, but my sense is that it was more the latter than the former.

Bruce

Fresh copper river sockeye filets were 12.99 at Costco today. Very good.

Yesterday’s Costco catch

Damn Alan, that looks fantastic!