Coq au vin

My wife likes white meat so when I made it two weeks ago I followed a suggestion I got from reading recipes. I always read recipes and then ignore them. The writer suggested that I sear the chicken pieces skin on, make the sauce, then add the thighs and legs, wait 15 minutes, then add the breast to the sauce and bake for 15 more minutes. I put the breast in a bit early because my wife likes well done white meat. Worked fine.

+1, actually +2. BUT I do not thin slice the mushrooms. I quarter or halve them, depending on size, then sautee mushroooms in very hot pan with just a bit of oil while stirring so that they do not stem when they release the water. Once the water is gone, I add the onion.

PF - thyme is an herb, not a spice.

Very similar recipe that I use Coq au vin recipe | Gourmet Traveller

Use pancetta if available. Brandy adds richness. Alan, to avoid using a thickening agent at the end you can lightly coat the chicken in flour before browning. I prefer to remove chicken and bits from teh sauce and reducing at the end to concentrate the sauce.

Reminds me that I need to make it again. Perhaps tonight!

herb-spice depends on if fresh or dry: “in broad terms both herbs and spices come from plants but herbs are the fresh part of the plant while spice is the dried root, dried stalk, seed or dried fruit of the plant and is almost always dried not fresh.“

I used fresh so you are right . . .

I did quarter the ‘shrooms—otherwise they disappear.

Vital
I use thighs. After browning them I marinate in the wine and a bouquet garni for 2 days.
Then a replace with a fresh bouquet garni for the braise.
I thicken with a Beurre Manié.

I learned something.

Ditto. Thanks.