Corkage according to the value of your bottle

Ditto.

My wife and I were dining with another couple at a Seattle restaurant that pulled this, and what’s worse, without stating the policy in advance. I never ate there again, and when the wine director opened his own restaurant, I never ate there. I’d love to give the names of the restaurants to add to the collateral damage, but they have both gone out of business.

P Hickner

I agree that a clear message is the best message and while I agree that $75 sends the same message as no corkage allowed, I’d rather just have the restaurant say “no” than have a crazy high charge. Saying no in some ways is less hostile/insulting to someone who wants to bring wine - not a big deal either way - just seems a bit less annoying to me at least when they say no instead of being passive/aggressive about it.

How about this for mixed messages - the last time that I brought wine to the high end Italian restaurant across the street from our building (they permit corkage and charge $30), at the end of the meal the waiter announces to me (and the rest of our guests) that the chef doesn’t want me to bring Italian wine in the future but wine from other countries is still fine. Some times I just don’t get the passive aggressive view that chefs/restaurants have with corkage. Either it is fine or it isn’t but don’t make it a point of contention with guests who like to drink from their cellar. It left such a bad taste in my mouth that we haven’t been back in almost a year and probably won’t bother going back - notwithstanding that the food is excellent - too many terrific alternatives around to deal with this type of attitude.

People come back though. Which restaurant? (To do this in NYC is one thing. To pull this bullshit in Seattle is stunning.)

We spent last week in NYC for spring break, and the opportunity to bring our own wine to dinner was really appreciated as it is illegal here in Ohio, as well.

However, also appreciated were a couple of great wine lists which induced us to buy from the restaurant. Since none were bad experiences, here was our week:

Il Brigante: brought 2003 Cappellano Barolo Piè Franco Otin Fiorin, charged $25 corkage

Acqua at Peck Slip: brought 2006 AR.PE.PE. Valtellina Superiore - Sassella Stella Retica Riserva, and 2003 Lopez de Heredia Bosconia 2003, quoted $25/bottle corkage, actually waived when bill presented (we had 6 dinners)

Little Owl: brought NV René-Henri Coutier Champagne Brut Grand Cru, charged $25 corkage

Blue Ribbon Bakery: purchased off the list: 1993 Domaine Huet Vouvray Sec Clos du Bourg, $130, it was terrific

Nice Matin: purchased off the list: 1961 Antoniolo Gattinara, $260, pristine and spectacular!

You do. A man of few opinions.

I paid $75 corkage once. It was worth it in that circumstance as I couldn’t afforded a bottle of that quality from the list.

But this is saying that unless you have have a lot of money you’re not allowed to drink a really special bottle.

Eric,

Agreed, that is really out of the norm for Seattle area. I BYO almost exclusively when we eat out, and have never had a restaurant around here give any hassle at all. Plus, it’s rare to find corkage fees over $25.

Michael

With so many restaurants, why bother with this one? Leave it for the corporate expense accounts.

I don’t think it’s just those with expense accounts that frequent this restaurant. By most account there are many locals who dine there, plus, it is quite popular with visiting out-of-towners.

While it is currently being spanked from all angles by most everyone here, I doubt that the restaurant will miss the businesses of those that are doing the spanking here.

Very true. I’ve never been and had no intention of going before this. Too many good restaurants in the city.

“From each according to his ability. To each according to his need”

Who would have ever though of a bottle of wine as a financial liability?

[smileyvault-ban.gif]

I would LOVE this policy if it was the reverse- extremely high corkage on cheap ass bottles.

What if you offered to pay for your entrée what it was worth in the market, I think they may hang up on you…same way I’d feel about my wine.

In 2009 I went to eat at Eleven Madison Park. I paid $50 corkage for a bottle, bought a bottle and a few glasses off their list. I was really happy with how it all worked. I’m not going to go someplace that wants to decide the value of a wine I’m bringing…that’s just plain BS.

Complete BS. Just say no - vote with your dollars or lack thereof. Le Cirq, Le Cirq, Le Cirq (for the search engines) ->> bad policy is bad business. It would be good for them to know just how many customers they could lose over time but they probably don’t care.

Problem solved.

Show up with your bottle, and if you think the ‘appraisal’ is too high, just whip out a second bottle from your bag or purse and announce loudly: “Sold!”

Judging by the clientele in the photos in this review, I doubt they get a lot of inquries about their corkage policy. It does look like the local Upper East Side, post-Sherry Lehman purchase, post-Bloomingdales-visit crowd.

Since their own list ranges into the four figures, according to the review, I suppose they don’t want to encourage people to bring their own trophy bottles.

An even better one at The Thomas in Napa; they waive corkage on all bottles over 10 years old because “patience should be rewarded”.

Dude, that is one disgusting toilet.