Corked Bottles: Post Yours Here For An Online Study

thats a smart idea. I can say that in my experience I have had plenty of corked bottles regardless of red, white, sparkling etc. It’s a cork or winery issue not a wine issue, so I don’t understand what the objective is except to try and identify which producers have either endemic issues or buy lower quality corks.

• 2001 Pride Mountain Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley (3/3/2010)
    Bought 2 bottles on release…1 bottle corked in 2006, the other corked as well. Damn bad luck! NR (flawed)
  • 2005 Turley Grenache Pesenti Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (12/7/2009)
    corked NR (flawed)
  • 2005 Joseph Drouhin Chorey-les-Beaune - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Chorey-les-Beaune (9/4/2009)
    Hmmmm, could be corked? Smell of wet cardboard, musky…in the mouth, the same. Aside from that…could be some Burgundy complexity :wink:…very high toned sour cherry, raspberry fruit, some dried green tea leaves, earth dust, floral rose petals. Does show some nice delicate nuances…I’ll come back to this in an hour.

Well, after an hour, and a bottle of 2005 Verget Meursault…I think this wine is a little corked, but still posses a pleasing high toned red fruit and earth spice in a simple Burgundy way. Would like to see how a good bottle does…could be at least 5+pts higher. (83 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

From a couple weeks back

Wine - '07 Cameron Hughes Lot 178 Los Carneros Syrah… (Havens)
Bottle - 750ml
Closure - Cork

Have had 2 other bottles since with no signs of being corked…

Tasting last night, 19 bottles opened, two corked.

2001 Dauvissat Clos
2001 Pegau Reserve

looks like over 13,000 on cellartracker if your logged in

Off the top of my head:

1995 Harlan and Araujo - xmas a few years ago
1982 Dunn Napa
2004 Sherwin Family Vineyards
1996 Dunn Napa
1982 Simi Reserve
1996 Bryant Family Cab
2004 Opus One

All 750 and Cork

We did this for a whole year on the australian forum at:

http://forum.winestar.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19916&hilit=luddites&start=765

All fun and games!!

Page 50 probably has the majority of results…

L/N - Lignier MSD “Les Chaffots” 1996.

A.

Brian, I am just going to use the Pride for this data collection as I want to look at recent wines tasted.

This is a ‘big bummer’. Fortunately not my purchase, but tasted a couple of weeks ago at La Paulee: 49 La Tache in 3 L.

That truly sucks.

My most recent three

'78 Vieux Telegraph
'90 DRC RSV
'85 Guigal La Landonne

all from 750ml

Three last night - '83 and '88 Dujac Clos de la Roche and '95 Dujac Charmes Chambertin

Giscours 1999 magnum ( 1 case ) : 5 out of 6 corked !!!

in the last month:
06 vatan sancerre (first corker in the case, and i only have one more left. argh).
04 rostaing cote rotie (who cares and got it on the cheep anyway)

Still, the problem with that is that you’re assuming a random and fair sample, but if most of the respondees drink Italian reds, you’ll get higher rates of corked Italian reds. For example, most of the corked wines I’ve had and would report are Burgs. But that wouldn’t tell you anything about how likely a Burg is to be corked vs. other wines, just that I drink more Burgs than anything else. I hate to say it given that yours is a cool idea, but the data are so uncontrolled that they’ll be completely meaningless. You need stronger baselines and controls for responses to be at all interpretable even in a non-“scientific” way.

That said, the two most recent corked wines I’ve had were '99 and '00 Raveneau Clos at a dinner last month. Both 750s. Some disagreement on the corkiness of the '99 (clear to me, but some disagreed), but wide agreement on the '00.

Cheers,
-Robert

On my blog I actually been tracking the number of corked wines I sample this year (my most recent update here: 2011 Corked Counter Update | Sean P. Sullivan - Washington Wine Report Note: Site has moved to www.northwestwinereport.com).

So far it’s been 4 wines out of 145. Due to the small number of corked wines at present, I haven’t done any slicing and dicing by other data on these wines but hope to do so in the future.

This raises the interesting question of whether it matters that it’s genuine or not??!

Last night an '03 Ridge Lytton Springs 750ml. There was a small amount of fungus on top of the cork so I broke it in half and there appeared to be fungus particles throughout the cork. Is this possible?