Corked!

My wife is about 3x more sensitive to TCA than I am. Our rate has been about 2% over the last 5 years. Of those, we still drank half of them because the taint was so mild.

Some very good tasters have almost no sensitivity to TCA; I know an MW who couldn’t check the wines for the MW exams because of this. (My threshold is around .5 ppt, which by extension must mean I am a terrible wine taster.)

Given that thresholds vary so widely, I imagine it’s fair to assume that we are all opening the same number of TCA-affected wines and that differences in our numbers are only indicative of our sensitivity. I find many fewer bad bottles now than I used to, but given that random oxidation caused by cork is such a huge problem I am still working to reduce the number of bark-cork-finished wines I import. We are about to receive our first glass-stoppered Barolo, which is exciting.

I think this is true. I suspect that a ton of low-TCA corked bottles are just assumed to be mediocre.

Such an interesting conversation, and one that can certainly make us all spin in circles! I’m sure we’ve all been to tastings where someone is convinced that a wine is ‘corked’ but no one else gets it, right? The initial reaction is to claim ‘crying wolf’, but it’s truly impossible to know since TCA can show it self so differently. And then when it is ‘full blown’ and the assumption is that ‘everyone should be able to pick this up’, many still cannot.

This is one of the most ‘challenging’ things to me about wine - that we are all so different, our thresholds are so different, that we oftentimes see wines so differently but others try to convince us (or others) that they are wong.

We just don’t know . . .

Cheers

And the idea of a slightly corked wine being ‘mediocre’ - think about that statement. Does that mean the a vast majority of wines the someone may find mediocre can be ‘assumed to be’ corked? Or chock it up to ‘bottle variation’?

As a winemaker, these are the things that keep me sleepless at night . . .

Cheers

I agree! [stirthepothal.gif]

I imagine. Most consumers don’t know what ‘corked’ means, they just assume the winemaker is incompetent.

Over the last 10 years roughly 5% of the wines I have opened have been flawed in some way. 1-2% have been corked. Bear in mind that I drink very little old wine.

My last two corked bottles: 97 Guado Al Tasso and 98 Hermitage La Sizeranne. Can’t remember the last new world wine I had that was corked.

I don’t understand. [cheers.gif]

Ok, so I was only off by two decimal places in my recollection of your test results. But give me some credit — I did remember that the figure began with a five.
[snort.gif]

We are living in a post-factual world, John, you’re doing fine. You are one of those fake news types, after all.

Years ago, before i really knew that much about wine and was just getting into the hobby, we signed up for a wine club while wine touring in Red Mountain. A few months later the first shipment came, 6 bottles, and the first couple were very disappointing, not at all what I had experienced at the winery, they smelled kind of funny and didn’t really taste like much, we assumed that we got charmed by the tasting room experience and just didn’t like them that much, so we ended up opening the rest of the half case at parties where nobody cared about wine, and every bottle turned out to be that way. A year or so after we drank the last bottle I was drinking wine with some friends and someone poured a wine and smelled it and recoiled, announcing that the bottle was corked. He passed the glass around, and lo and behold, this wine smelled and tasted exactly like those bottles I’d received from the wine club. It was so long after we’d purchased I didn’t think to ask for a refund, but in hindsight I should have at least let them know.

I was at a tasting room a few years back and was poured a wine that was quite corked and mentioned it to the person working there, and they smelled it and told me on no uncertain terms that it “was supposed to taste that way” and kept right on pouring it for people. Blew me away.

Turns out I’m super sensitive to TCA and before I was ever instructed as to what it is, I’m sure I’d pooh-poohed more than a few bottles as “not my taste” that were just corked!

I don’t keep track of how often I encounter corked bottles but it’s got to be a dozen or so a year, which i think works out to about 3-4%.

Jim,

I will often go a very long time before running into a corked wine. However, more often than not, they come in 3’s for me. I’ve had many, many times where I’ll have 3-4 corked wines in a month and then go for a year or more without any…