Cote de Nuits 2018 en primeur report - Long/boring

What a lovely, quaquaversal report :slight_smile:

Wow, how nice to wake up to such a kind string of comments! Thank you Alan, Yao, Shan, Michael, Kelly and Warren! You are all delightful to slog through my drivel and be good enough to leave comments.

Cheers,
Davy.

Beautiful writing. Thanks for this report Davy.

Thank you, Don! You are a kind chap.

I enjoyed reading the report. Thanks for sharing, David.

Whatā€™s the deal with Grivot? My impression (from reading reports and reviews) was that the wines have improved much in reputation and quality over the last 10-15 years. Is the style not to your taste or have things just not went well for for them in the past few vintages?

Max,

I donā€™t think theyā€™ve improved enough and he jacks his prices up every year. So, Iā€™m sorry to say as I prefer to like wines, Iā€™m still despising every one of his I have. All my friends have sold their stocks (and made a fortune, inexplicably).

Cheers,
Davy.

Ah, okay. So you havenā€™t ever been a fan of the wines. I was trying to get an idea of whether you never liked them or did at one point and changes at the Domaine caused you to now feel differently. You mention over-extraction and quality of fruit as criticisms in your write up. Iā€™ll assume those are your biggest complaints, in addition to prices then. I just hadnā€™t seen any other similar stylistic criticisms of their wines in recent years.

Iā€™m trying to get a better understanding of the producer until I can taste enough of their wines to form my own opinions. I appreciate your input!