Côte-Rôtie under 100$.

These two, and Heenri Gallet - typical and of vg quality and affordable.

Thanks. I have tasted Ogier’s wines a few times and will for sure add a few to my cellar.

Only Tasted Rostaings Cote Rotie once (1999 vintage two years ago), but was served next to some better wines so did not take that much notice of it, maybe I should try it again in a newer vintage.

Two mentions of Gallet now. Will check it out.

So far i bought a few bottles of Xavier Gerard’s 2016 Côte-Rôtie based on this thread :slightly_smiling_face:

Gallet all day.

Back about a decade ago, I was able to purchase Jamet’s C-R at the domaine for at least half the prices in retail stores in France (or at 1/3 the US stores’ pricing). That would still qualify as < $100 for current vintages.

1 Like

The percentage varies, but yes, some new oak as you note. I much prefer the “other” Jamet, but it is also 2x the price.

Tell me more, please.

+1 - both this and the Saint-Josepth VV are always tremendous values.

I’ve been a big fan of Pierre Gaillard for years, good stuff, reasonably priced

2 Likes

Found a shop very close to me that has 12, 15 and 16 Gallet.

I will go pick up a bottle after Christmas and check it out.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

What was his name the first two months?

Haha… well i just officially named him (online) a few days ago.

Bonnefond’s Cote Rotie are in the $40 to $75 range in the US. I’ve bought some but not tried them yet because they all seem to need some age according to notes. I have tried their Sensation du Nord (Collines Rhodaniennes) in the low $20 range, and like it quite a bit for early drinking, so I took a shot on those Cote Rotie. Anyone here have experience with Bonnefond?

Ch de St Cosmes

Here’s another vote for the Levet Cote-Roties, especially the Chavaroche. Around here you can still buy the 2009 for $75. Here’s my note from Cellar Tracker, from September:

“I was enveloped in an aromatic cloud of funkiness and leather as I decanted the wine. After two hours in the decanter, the funkiness had dissipated and what remained was eminently drinkable. It still has some tannic bite – it seems almost like a wine more for chewing than sipping – so I think it is still on the upward slope, but I wouldn’t hesitate to open more bottles of the 2009 right away.”

love me some jm stephan. seems a new importer/tariffs have catapulted the pricing on 17s and 18s but keep a look out for 13-16 which were under $100 at release.

Garon
Gérard
Levet

Add Bott to the list.

I think Benetiere is…belly up? I vaguely remember reading that someone on the board went past their property earlier this year and the lights were off and no one was around. I think is was around harvest, which made it even more suspicious. Some internet sleuthing: “no reply by e-mail, on the phone only a tape - and the house/cellar looked deserted and empty, and all that when most other vignerons harvested or worked in their cellars.” from this thread:

Huh. I wrote “pure red fruit and a laser beam of acid” about the 2003, a year when others produced gloppy messes (I’m looking at you, chapoutier).