COVID19 wine consumption

My consumption is up. I don’t usually drink during the week, but it’s a nice way to mark the end of the day when it all feels like one long Monday.

But my buying has picked up neener

When I get to go to a restaurant again I’ll probably have a wine binge like I’ve never had before

Up a bit here. I feel I need a way to clearly delineate that the workday is done. A drink does that well and you know how lonely that one drink feels if not joined by a second.

Really need to transition with a workout. Working on that.

I find myself searching for the oldest, “might be over the hill” wines to drink as I pop corks - if there is one thing this shutdown has done, it’s forced me to actually do some cleaning up -

Down, since I normally go to tastings 1-3 times a week. Now zero tastings in the past 3 weeks and no new ones looming in the future.

However, consumption from my personal cellar has gone conversely up. Here’s to the hopes that all my bottles would fit inside my cellars & cabinet after this lockdown phase as I’m currently running at over the maximum capacity!

Definitely up. We used to only drink when we had people over for a meal, but now we’re having a glass of wine or a beer with dinner on most nights.

Up, trying to make evenings a bit more cheerful, drinking a couple of glasses of wine with my wife most evenings

Both quality and quantity sneaking upward…and while I enjoy sharing a bottle with my wife whose job makes our wine life possible, I miss the communal table talk and the social joys of sharing bottles with others. I hope the social costs of this enforced sequester end relatively soon. Until then, more Zoom virtual tastings are appreciated.

About the same but not getting to share quite as much so I get most of the bottle since my wife doesn’t really like wine. I miss getting to share some food and wine with friends. Hoping that will change soon.

Down.
Not entertaining is a part of it, but mostly it’s just the two of us continuing to abstain more than normal. By this time of year, we’d usually be done with our annual keto reset and back to maintenance, which includes wine with dinner most nights. But because my exercise is severely curtailed without the gym , especially cardio since I am recovering from a bad sprained ankle so can’t run or jump, I feel the need to keep my alcohol calories down. Also, we’re happy drinkers - that is, we drink when we’re relaxed and happy and enjoying life, with less taste for wine when things are rough. Finally, I know my sleep is better on nights without booze, and I need that right now.

It feel like my consumption is up. The weekends and weekdays are all blending together while working from home and caring for two little ones. It feel like we are popping a cork every night, but when I look at cellar tracker:

March 2020 - 14 bottles consumed
March 2019 - 14 bottles consumed

So I guess it is more of a feeling than reality. All 28 bottles were consumed in a home setting. None of them were ear marked as special bottles, gifts, for group tastings, etc…

Brad- My consumption is actually down a bit since you and Rob no longer want to hang out. Rude. [wink.gif]

My consumption is down a tad as I’m not socializing and I am consciously trying to not fall into drinking and eating more out of boredom and/or doom.

My consumption is down, I am using our national lockdown to put my body into ketosis and improve my 5km time on the treadmill.

Total consumption the same. Consumption of good stuff way up. Share a good bottle from the cellar every other evening or do.

Definitely up since there’s a lot more week time drinking.

My consumption is way up. We have two extra collage kids for the duration, for a total of 4. Im trying to teach them all about Burgundy, Champagne, and Reisling for the Covid quarantine.

Paul, when I hesitate, which is certainly not lately, my wife always says, you’ve already spent the money wether you drink the bottle or not. That makes it easier.

Exactly. I also like “you only get 4.5 glasses out of it no matter when you drink it.”

I decided to open best bottle I had, accidentally it happend on my birthday, during Easter time I am going to open some more good stuff. [cheers.gif]
There is no reason to wait for better occasion.

Consumption is up a little. What is different is that I open whatever I want, instead of consulting Cellartracker.