Criminal (EDIT: or silly, if you like) pricing on 2016 Produttori Crus

I agree. Someone said here that Morrell had good prices but this has never been my experience. They are usually 20-25% higher than other places for me. I still have several cases of vintage Produttori single vineyards so I don’t really need any more of these. I use the regular bottling as a daily drinker because Nebbiolo, why not?

I agree. Someone said here that Morrell had good prices but this has never been my experience. They are usually 20-25% higher than other places for me. I still have several cases of vintage Produttori single vineyards so I don’t really need any more of these. I use the regular bottling as a daily drinker because Nebbiolo, why not?

Sorry about the multiple posts. Site froze while I was posting.

We’ve seen similar pricing challenges in the UK, with the suspicion that the prime suspects are the importers, followed to a lesser degree by increases at the winery and merchants knowing demand remains strong.

Personally, at the prices charged in the UK, I don’t see PdB as the nailed on bargain it used to be, indeed there are other wines I think are clearly better value. PdB isn’t a rip-off, far from it, but from my perspective the days of great value have gone. Pricing in Italy can be pretty good still, though not at the level I recall when buying riserva bottles from good vintages at €20 a bottle in Alba. Comparatively they were very cheap back then.

Criminal?
I’d go with obscene.

[cheers.gif]

Morrell’s prices are high but the selection and service are great. But, hey, they’re in mid town Manhattan not some Jersey strip mall. They have regular sales and shipping deals that get them down to ballpark reasonable. Loved the catalogs when EG did them- thats gotta be worth something.

That said I didnt bite on the PdB 16 from them- not even on the ‘sale’ at $99.

If you think these are bad, just got an offer for Gonon St. Joseph for $140 a bottle.

Received an offer for these yesterday at $85 a pop (with small discount to $79 for orders of 6+)

Ran this by my local rep, who said demand is through the roof (duh) and you’d be smart to grab whatever you can get your hands on. That last part I’m less convinced of…

Lyle Fass is offering the wooden case set of all nine 2016 reservas for $980, or almost $110 a bottle.

Flickinger had the box set for $829.

By the way, who sniped the 3 bottles of 2004 Asili this week on benchmark? I had them in my cart and when I finished the order my email confirmation was just for a shipping charge with no wine.

1 Like

I saw that and nearly spat out my wine.

that’s nearly a full 3x what I paid at the cantina, fwiw

I Got an offer on a sixpack
Montestefano
Rabaja
Ovello
Asili
Paje
Montefico
For 425$
In Denmark

I may be the odd one out here, or maybe my experience is too limited, but I’ve never thought of any Produttori as truly great wines. They are very good values, and I enjoy them, but if the pricing is too high it won’t bother me to skip them.

(CT says I’ve tasted 22 wines from Produttori, 9 of which were single vineyard bottlings.)

I’m hoping the crazy prices for the 6 pack is based on the wooden box and it being a collectible item. I’ll be really upset if these wines show up at $80-$100 each.

No it’s not acollectible wodden box and it’s
about 70$ a pop 2550 kr which is a big
Increse. Four of the wines Got 98p and two got
96p from A.G as i remember.
But what about the next vintage,maybe the Wines only get like 92-94p in a lesser vintage,Then i won’t be buying