Crystalline exudate at the bottom of white wine ?

Thanks! Didn’t feel quite comfortable to make that assertion.

[cheers.gif]

Sorry to be a contrarian, but you are still wrong; the solutes in a solution are not distributed differently according to gravity. The very definition of a solution is that the solute is uniformly distributed, so crystals are equally likely to form anywhere in the liquid, regardless of gravity. An easy example to understand is the childhood home experiment of making rock candy. Suspend a stick (with high surface area btw) into a sugar solution, and sugar crystals form UNIFORMLY on the stick. You don’t get more sugar precipitating onto the bottom of the stick bc of gravity.

Now, wines that are stored upright with the cork pointing up, of course will not get tartrate crystals on them bc they are not in contact with the wine. In that case, you are right, wines palletized cork down will get more crystals than cork up.
rock candy.jpg

I didn’t say they were distributed in the solution differently due to gravity.

I said they don’t need surface irregularity in order to form. They drop out of solution due to decreased temperature. When there isn’t surface irreularity, they form independent crystals that look similar to refined sugar crystals. With irregular surfaces, like cork or the interior of a barrel, they will form together making what could loosely be described as a crust. The gravity reference, notes that while evenly distributed in solution, when palletized with cork to the side, the crystals drop out of solution throughout the bottle, as evidenced by the fact that they are not all on the cork(there is typically a fine layer but not what I would call a crust), but there are also crystals on the low side of the bottle…having drifted down there due to gravity after precipitation.