Current best value white Burgundies

I’m in agreement and almost everything I’m picking up is in the Côte Chalonnaise and Mâconnais: A. et P. de Villaine Rullys, Les Héritiers du Comte Lafon, Olivier Merlin Pouilly-Fuissé, Domaine Saumaize-Michelin Pouilly-Fuissé. One that is still a good value in the Beaune is Domaine Florent Garaudet.

It was darkly funny that we were all screaming about the premox specter over white burgundy, while at the same time demand and prices were soaring. “You have a huge problem!” “Do we really?”

PYCM prices seem to have gone up 20+% just from the 2017 to the 2018 vintages. Imagine what we’d all say if a California producer did that.

Oh well, I got to enjoy a few vintages of them before the prices went crazy. And I can’t blame the guy for charging what people will pay for them. They’re excellent wines.

I probably have 10 bottles or so, now I transition into the “reluctant to drink them because I can’t afford to replace them” mode.

It’s an interesting world when PYCM makes the Roulot lieux-dits and Boucheres look reasonable!

But back on topic, agreed with respect to Louis Michel & Fevre Chablis. Also surprised that Dancer’s Bourgogne Blanc gets no love - you can find the 2014 at Rare Wine Co for $35 (!) and it is delicious

there are some occasional opportunities to find PYCM at lesser prices, also Boillot. I paid 95 for 18 Moucheres. I paid 85 for 17 PYCM Ancegnieres. I think those are great values, wines playing above their appellation. I titled the thread best value, not cheapest.

Almost put some of the Moreau on the list.

I had Michel on there, Buzz.

Recent thread for under $100 white Burgs:
https://wineimport.discoursehosting.net/t/best-sub-100-white-burg/160244/1

Which OR producers are you drinking?

Probably mostly tariffs.

White burgundy price increases have had a very strong correlation with low producer premox rates.

do you have any data that supports that?

If a California producer did that, it would be because the producer raised prices, not because the President added a tariff.

Look at Leflaive prices. [scratch.gif]

Much like most observations about price increases by producer, it is based on observing the market long enough to be comfortable with that assertion. No data other than that.

If that is all it is, then wouldn’t all other White Burgundies have an equivalent pricing spike from the 17 to 18 vintages? And if the tariffs go back down, PYCM pricing will return to a year or two ago?

Again, PYCM makes great wines, and additionally is very much in vogue with buyers, so I’m not surprised or upset that the prices are spiking up. Same way I feel when that happens with a new world wine. But every time a hot Burg or Northern Rhone or Piedmont producer has its price skyrocket, we all have to pretend that it’s only because of some shadowy middlemen, tariffs, grey market, or something else at play rather than regular supply and demand. When it’s a new world wine, then it’s all about greed, score whores, and so forth. It feels like it’s more about people confirming their biases about good guys and bad guys than it is an accurate statement about what is going on.

Maybe I’m wrong - I certainly have been before. Explain it to me and I’ll listen with an open mind.

My current best values are the Domaine Renaud Macons (Charnay and Solutré) from K&L. They’re unusually good for $20. There are a bunch of other white Burgs in that range but most of those I’ve tried have been disappointing.

The Bize BB Perrières is really good too. It’s more like $35 or $40.

They have, look at the Ramonet prices; 249 for ruchottes

The usual suspects. I drink a lot of Goodfellow, Walter Scott, Eyrie, and Cameron. Brick House, Martin Woods, Crowley, Vincent, and Brittan are in the mix too.

Why do we need to explain anything to you? I am not in the trade. Buy what you want to buy. I don’t care. I would prefer that fewer people buy Burgundy. Please buy California and Oregon wines. Just please open your own thread to discuss and be polite enough not to pollute this one.

Odd names for Burgundy Domaines.

rolleyes