Danica Patrick's Somnium Wines

[rofl.gif] [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]

You missed my point, but that’s OK.

A 92 in a vintage replete with 98’s, 99’s, and 100’s for many wines in the same price range is actually sort of shabby. [snort.gif]

i dont have a dog in this hunt (have never had the wine and almost certainly never will), but having just flipped through the most recent wine spectator (with all 2016 bottle scores to date).

Number of wines rated by WS for this vintage

100 - Zero
99 - Zero
98 - Zero
97 . - One (Colgin IX)

So from this publication the scores to date are not top heavy

Some wineries 16’s starting with the letter S as a comparison

Scarecrow - 94
Scarecrow MEtain - 92
Schrader - all 94-96
Eagle - 94
Seven Stones - 92
Shafer one Point Five - 90
Signorelo - 91
Spoto - 89
Sojourn G III - 92
Spottswood - 96
Staglin - 93

Please activate your sarcasm circuit and try again.

FWIW I have met her before and she is very nice.

Both 2016 Spottswood and Scarecrow got a 100 from 2 reviewers: Wine Advocate and Jeb Dunnuck.

Jeb Dunnuck gave a 100 to 2016 MacDonald To Kalon.

Wine Advocate gave a perfect 100 to Myriad’s 2016 Dr. Crane Elyssian.

2016 Vine Hill Ranch received a 100 from Antonio Galloni.

2016 Maybach Materium scored a 99 from Wine Advocate and Jeb Dunnuck.

Other than the Scarecrow, these are Cabs in a similar price point.

My point was this publication, which is the apples to apples in measuring a score from same. Again, not arguing its a great value (as many other wines are not as well)

There are plenty of 90-94 point from whomever Napa Cabs at $180+ price points. To single hers out for scorn is unfair. As has been said, Aaron Pott is a very talented winemaker.

FIFY [stirthepothal.gif] neener

James Laube? With him it’s a dice roll to dice roll comparison. That’s with wines of the same style, where you’d think it would be apples to apples. Then comes his massive self-avowed biases, preferring bold ripe wines and drinking on the young side, and giving poor scores to wines that need age. Then, on many occasions over the decades doing an occasional retrospective tasting of properly matured traditionally ripe wines…and rating them highly…then going right back to rating new releases of that sort of wine poorly…decade after decade of not learning or giving a rats ass.

I’m particularly fond of a 68 point wine and a 73 point wine. Oh, and funnily, on the other side of his inanity, his highest ratings for some of my friends’ wines are their least favorite releases.

You could say my interest in his ratings is like apples to cats. Apples are of little interest to cats.

The pettiest site on the internet! :wink:

I beg to differ. There are quite a few compilation videos of cats playing with Apples (MacBooks, iPads) on YouTube. Seems like they’re VERY interested.

at times

That sort of Apple is the closest thing they have to Jobs.

Anyone tasted these wines recently?

Haven’t tried them. Julien Fayard took over winemaking in 2020.

1 Like