Decent wines under $15, under $10?

If you want to just grab something at the grocery store, I’ve found my wife’s friends to be quite satisfied with anything from Columbia Crest, Chateau Ste. Michelle, and Bogle.

While I believe that California wine delivers great value at the $20-45 range, I don’t see many really exceptional wines below $15.

Try wines from Cline, Wente, Kenwood, Kendall-Jackson, Bogle some of the lower priced wines from Ravenswood.

As I read it, the OP is not looking for “really exceptional” wines.

Bogle can actually be decent. My first thought is Spanish wine, particularly Grenache and Monastrell (Mourvedre). Juan Gil Monastrell used to be one of the best values around $12 although it’s pushing $16 at some retailers now. Other QPRs are Luzon and Tarima. There’s Volver Tempranillo as well.

Other than that, the Columbia Crest Horse Heaven Hills wines are probably your best bet. In the past, the Cabernet and Merlot have both been good. I typically see them for about $13 in California.

Ch. St. Cosme Little James Basket Press CDR NV
Retails for $10 or less. Quite decent.

I’m a fan of Frontier Red by Fess Parker at that price point. $8.50 to $10.00 here in SD

True. I should have said “exceptional wines for the money relative to other countries.” Spain, Italy, Germany, Chile, Australia, Argentina, even … France [shock.gif] I think are often better bets at the lowest price points.

If you live in California, you can find excellent local stuff. Bernardus Carmel Valley Sauvignon Blanc, a wine I think is pretty good, can be found for around $12 in the Monterey-Carmel area. Georis makes some price worthy wines. The best wines from here, those made by Ian Brand, Peter Figge and Damien Georis sell in the $20 to low $30 range.

Fuego Garnacha $7-8 in Michigan.
As good as 3 Picos IMO

Marietta Old Vine Red $11 + or -

I agree that Spain provides good quality reds at >$15 which mix crowd pleasingness with a bit of interest / exotic / wine geek flair to them as compared to grocery store reds in that price range. Can Blau, Las Rocas, Tres Picos, Mas Donis, Solanera, etc.

Cotes du Rhone from ripe vintages like 2009 would also do that for you, producers like Les Garrigues, Delas and St. Cosme, though some might push into the higher teens.

Chianti and Barbera can overdeliver in that price range, particularly if you’re looking for a pairing for pizza or pasta, though you have to choose correctly, and they may not have the heft to serve as a “cocktail” wine for civilians as much as the ones above. Among easier to find labels that would have more mass appeal to non wine people, Volpaia, Banfi, Antinori, Coltibuono, Felsina are good in Chianti. Vietti and Michelle Chiarlo are good options that are easy to find.

Yangarra Shiraz from Australia is a fantastic value at about $15. I know Aussie Shiraz is not cool these days, but this is a very consistent, delicious wine in a medium style (something around the place that Seghesio zin operates in the California zin spectrum, if that is helpful), that is good young or with age, with food or by itself.

Good luck.

Evodia…from Priorat. In fact there are a few others, like Mas Donis. About $10 and nice.

Yes, this is a good one.

sweet… gotta sort through the responses and see what i can find… thanks!

You have to be ready for in your face fruit, but Spain is doing crazy things for about $8-9 range. Some of these are being hit on above, but the 2011 vintage of Tarima Monastrell, Borsao Tinto and Fuego Garnacha are pretty nuts for the the price tag.
I’ll see all three of those bottles at big retailers for $6.99 sometimes. Crazy!

I am a huge fan of the 2010 Chapoutier Bila Haute as well as the 2010 Volver Single Vineyard La Mancha. Both under $15.

I had the 2010 of that recently, and it was good for the price…$10 at K&L.

Other decent <$15 wines I’ve had in recent months:

• 2011 Zestos Vinos de Madrid Old Vines - $9.99 at K&L
  • 2007 Viña Eguía Rioja Reserva - $9.99 at our Costco
  • 2009 Rocca dell’Olmo Barbaresco - $9.99 from TJ’s (considered as a Langhe nebbiolo, I was pleasantly surprised)
  • 2010 Les Vignerons de l’Enclave des Papes Côtes du Rhône Villages Valréas Cuvée Prestige - $6 at TJ’s (2010 seemed to be a good year for them…I wasn’t as crazy about the 2011)
  • 2010 Bodegas Rafael Palacios Valdeorras Sábrego - ~$8 on sale at Cost Plus World Market
  • 2008 Dinastía Vivanco Rioja Crianza Selección de Familia - can be found here and there under $15

In the past, I’ve also enjoyed some vintages of the Vidal-Fleury CdR and several of the aforementioned Spanish wines in this price range (Garnacha de Fuego, Can Blau, Juan Gil Silver Label, etc.).

Vina Borgia is another bag in box wine that is quite nice

Guion in Bourgueil is another winner

Protocolo red and rose, I pay $60 a case. The already mentioned Evodia.