Definition of Everyday Wines - "Daily Drinkers"

By?

By what? Oh?

Depends. It depends because not all wines are rated by all critics. But ws or rp or st or ct or a combination

Ct does that wine searcher which gives lots of scores.

I was really hoping someone would say EMH Black Cat [wink.gif]
We drink a lot of Rhone and Languedoc in the $15-$20 range but, like many have stated, we have no rules. If I want to open an expensive bottle on Tuesday, I open it.

This wasn’t my answer before I read it, but it is now. It’s not a monetary measure, it’s how much I miss it when it’s gone.

$20ish is the rule of thumb. Ricard Tourraine, Graillot Crozes, Felsina Chianti Classico. Lower abv, easy drinking wines.

I have not read all the posts so this may have been expressed before, but I have jettisoned the idea of “daily drinkers.” My daily drinker is water, iced tea, or diet soda. I do not buy wines (any more) that I think are “mediocre but worth the price.” I would rather save my money for wine that I think is going to be excellent and drink many fewer bottles.

I never intended to buy wines like that and when I did I found they tended to sit around. However there are wines that I like to drink that are not very expensive. I will never turn up my nose at a Guigal or Vidal-Fleury Cotes du Rhone for example, and they are cheap enough for burrito wine.

Our “daily drinker” consumption is heavily influenced by the season and price. Living in Silicon Valley, and enjoying some of the best weather in the world (yes, I said it, the world!), warmer months lean toward under $20 whites, especially Albariños, Sauvignon Blancs, and rosé wines. Cooler months tend toward sub $20 reds including Tempranillo, Zinfandel, and Rhone blends. For us price is always a consideration, but we have been able to find so many quality wines that fit the bill and half the fun is the search for those wines.

our daily drinkers are $15-35.00. mostly wines that don’t really need additional aging Bojo, Barbera d’ alba, Rosso de Montalcino, Bourgogne …they’re open and ready to go.

My daily drinkers are anything in the cellar that will pair well with what I am cooking that day. As the average price of the wines in my cellar have risen, so has the average price of my daily drinkers.
This week was pretty typical:
Monday - 09 Aubert Sonoma Coast Chard
Tuesday - 10 Bevan Ontogeny
Wednesday - 09 Varner Bee Block
Thursday - 10 Rivers Marie Cab
Friday - 06 Cliff Lede Songbook
Saturday Lunch - 12 Quivet Sauv Blanc
Saturday Dinner - 08 Drinkward Peschon

My wife doesnt drink and I drink a bottle in three days regardless of the day of the week. Very early on it was apparent to me that I like collecting as much if not more than drinking. The cellar grows every year and outside from smallish ammounts of riesling, cdp and pavie, its mostly cali reds so im as likely to open a Carlisle or a Schrader on a Tuesday.

Do you get 5 to 10 times the pleasure for the special bottles? Perhaps the pleasure can’t be quantified.

You know, I think it would have been perfect weather about 50 years ago before the smog came with development.

But I agree weather can be an important factor in what wines to drink.

I’m not Randy (TG :wink: but it would be hard for me to think about it the way you describe. Is scarecrow five times better than jones the sisters? No. But I buy both. Is the French Laundry five times times more pleasurable than Redwood? Hell no! But I go to both. There are differences that often have nothing to do with quality or pleasure that one chooses to pay for or not. From something as important as diversity to something as banal as exclusivity and a hundred things in between. Pleasure is a large part of it but to me, nowhere near all encompassing.

I don’t really believe in the daily drinker thing either. Our wine selection is based on what we are cooking 99% of the time. Sometimes that is a $20 Loire white, sometimes that is a $150 Bordeaux and sometimes it’s a $50 Pinot. The goal in our house is to fine something that will complement the meal. Pretty simple.

Sutter Home White Zinfandel
or any good $5 rose

But seriously. We have stopped drinking wine on a daily basis and when we do we may opt instead for a cocktail or a beer. In the process we have upped the quality of the wines we drink when we choose to do so (a few times a month). It has substantially reduced the amount of wine we purchase too. Never thought we would get here but we did.

Pretty strong week of baby killing. I like this.

I was thinking the same when I read that list.

I find myself deciding to drink a lot of wines younger these days. I figure if they are so good now - why wait?
[cheers.gif]

Same habits here… but it makes it easier if I know that we won’t be dining out for a while, so I can open something more high end, knowing that it won’t sit past the third day.

So with 2 bottles a week on average, anything goes, food matching be damned, meaning you’ll see me drinking the likes of Saxum with sauteed tilapia and a salad with bottled Caesar dressing.

[cheers.gif]