deNegoce email re: heat stabilization

Not to thread drift, but Pott shipped this week. It looks like the wine was held at fedex for over a day in Sacramento. Should I be concerned?

This was my first thought as well

I do. I work for a company that has researched heat damage on wine, and we know it happens fairly quickly at the temperatures described. Not all wines are affected similarly, but there’s no question that damage can occur. Stability in terms of haze and microbial activity is presumably what they’re talking about, but heat damage involves other factors too, most notably oxidation.

Why offer shipping holds at all if you are going to ship when it is in the 90s? If shipping when temperatures are in the 90s was not a risk, holding for shipping wouldn’t even be a thing.

Thanks for all of the responses.

At best they’re thinking of microbial bloom and clarity. However, as several of y’all have hit on, this says nothing about oxidation. Seeing as oxidation would be my greatest concern about shipping in warm weather, their response misses the point entirely.

While they probably mean well, I think for the average buyer of these wines their response is very misleading.

On a long hot day of deliveries, the temperature in the cargo area of a truck can soar to 140 degrees and higher. UPS drivers have recorded temperatures as high as 152 degrees, according to photos and video provided to NBC News.

I received the email stating that wines would ship 10/1 or 10/2. I live in New England. Nothing shipped to me yet.

After sending an email asking them not to ship early, I got a response saying they’d hold until Nov 1st. Got an email last night that my wines have shipped. I won’t be there when they arrive. Worse, they didn’t respond to the request for an address change for one of the cases (I’m not there anymore). I guess I will try to reroute the wines to UPS access points and hope I can get back home before UPS sends them back. Not happy about this.

As I said in the DN thread, this would be chargeback material for me if DN won’t make it right on their own (which it sounds like they wont as they’re dug in on this idea that the wines are “heat stabilized”). They charged money for something and didn’t provide it.

I am relaying this info not to Bash but to inform the group of a situation that just occurred with Denegoce. I told them over a month ago not to ship in October as I would be out of Country. Please ship in November as no one would be available to receive. I received an E mail confirmation that they would not ship till November. Just got a Tracking E mail that No 13 was shipped!!! Trying to work this out now but I am concerned about my other 5 cases just going out the Door. Hopefully this is just a mistake, but I wanted to make everybody aware.

I’m curious whether Cam or anyone working for them has mentioned ‘screw ups’ with a third party shipper at any time? This normally happens in situations like this - wineries will claim that it ‘wasn’t there fault’ since a third party shipper actually shipped for them.

Bottom line - had most wineries shipped in temperatures like this, there would be quite the uproar on this board. Period.

They seemingly need to get a better control over their systems and STAT.

Cheers.