Denver Metro Area Wine shops

Hazels in Boulder can have good prices. I like Cured in Boulder, very small.

Molly’s in Lakeside is decent as well.

2 Likes

Cured is a tiny shop that I like to shop. You’ll often see things there that you see in no other shops.
I like Cured a lot for their cheese & meats. But you have to be very careful on their salamis. They
often leave them sitting out on this marble slab for too long and they can become hard as a rock.
Tom

1 Like

In ‘n’ Out is the food equivalent of Total Wine. You can always find better!

I mostly depend on wine searcher to find new shops, ones I’ve not been to before (in person or virtually), and one place in CO I’ve never patronized but which comes up in wine searcher is Catherine’s Store in Carbondale CO. Given their location and store front (in StreetView), they seem to have an improbably deep collection of old and back vintages of wine I look for. They regularly pop up in wine searcher checks for rare and hard to find wines.

Has anyone here every bought wine from them?

1 Like

I found several things I wanted to buy, but talked with the owner and she wouldn’t ship. Gave some lame excuse about CC fraud. Told her she was welcome to charge my card and ship well after the payment was processed. Still, no dice.

1 Like

Interesting-thanks for the info. We moved away about 2 years ago before the change. What I mentioned was just hearsay from friends in the area. We’ll be back there soon and I’m sure I will be in there soon enough.

Thanks

Wine searcher, great idea to find places, thanks!

Thank you to all of the posters here. This is a huge help. Not as worried as I once was about not being able to find a wine community out here.

1 Like

There’s another thread going with a bunch of people who are interested in doing offlines. Hopefully come end of summer/fall we might actually be able to do something in-person…

The bummer is our stupid no corkage at restaurants by Colorado law so get togethers have to be at private locations. We’ve got a group that’s met a couple of times and I expect we’ll get together again by the end of the summer. PM me or keep an eye out in the Event Planner thread if you’re interested.

Just north of Denver, like Thornton, or Loveland, or…?

Denver Wine Merchant is a new spot that, judging by their social media, has a really nice selection. Hazel’s will have some deals once in a while and in particular, on Champagne.

Surprised that nobody has mentioned Harry Hoffman’s downtown!!! Used to be my go to place.
Tom

Harry died in 1988.

For those of you historically inclined: Bygone Denver: Harry Hoffman Liquors | Denver Public Library History

I was surprised I’d never heard of it.

I was just writing to say that I was surprised no one mentioned The Proper Pour in the warehouse-y area north of downtown. My family has a summer place up in the mountains, and that has been my go to when stocks hauled in from Calif. run low the past few summers. Good source for Envinate, Jura, etc. But doing due diligence I see that it is now “permanently closed”. Oh the Humanity!!! Their website suggests some sort of return in the future, so maybe worth giving them your email …

Mr. B’s (multiple locations) looked intriguing online, but didn’t make it there last summer.

I remember Mr. B’s being somewhere between a liquor store and more specialty wine shop like the Vineyard, but I only visited the Stanley one. Prices seemed similar to the Vineyard as well.

The Source got crushed more so than other food halls, I think in part because of their business being somewhat linked to the hotel. Proper Pour was a great little shop, sad to see it go (and Acorn, important memories there…).

Sad to see the Proper Pour gone! great little shop with interesting wines. Just after the lockdown last spring I ordered some Domaine Gramenon Cotes du Rhone ‘La Meme Ceps Centenaires’ which they packaged up and placed in my trunk…
Hope they resurface once this is all over.

I bought some wine during the Proper Pour close out sale. Guys said they would pop back up at a later time. But that’s all they said.
To add my opinion:
-Applejack has some decent prices on Champagne during their sales. Got some 2008/10 Dom for $140-145 this past Nov/Dec.
-Joy Wine and Spirits near Cheesman (which is closest to me) has good beer drops as well as some of the decent, more hip CA producers like Jolie Laide, Stolpman, Cruse. Their international stock is hit or miss.

All other shops are hit or miss for me so I dont visit often. Most of my buying is online.

Have you been to Joy recently? Their wine buyer (Mason a cool guy and really into OR pinot and Portuguese wine) left, maybe a year or so ago, and brought in someone new. The last time I was in there it looked like beer was taking over and a ton of their wine racks were empty. Also, kind of a weird situation, but the last time I went in there I asked if Mason was available to talk about some wine. A woman I’d seen working there before was pretty aggressive about insisting he was no longer there.