Detert- Why not more chatter?

Berserker Day is made for this! [cheers.gif]

Any thoughts on the 2013 CS and Franc releases?

I bought. Hard not to if you are a fan of the producer given the vintage hype and relatively reasonable pricing ($85 ea).

i ordered 3 of the CF. CF is the wifeā€™s favorite and when itā€™s special, I like it as well. If this is as good as advertised itā€™s a no-brainer. Plus I love finding stuff the wife likes because it is so much easier of a sell when Iā€™m ordering :slight_smile:

No discipline, bought three CFs. One day this will stop and I can just drink the wine that I already have! Still excited though given such high praise for this winery and its people.

I bought 3 of the CF as well. I find myself frequently thinking I donā€™t have enough CF (of all stripes) in my cellar.

I had the opposite opinion. Wanted to try this producer but when new release Clos Rougeard ā€œLe Closā€ can be had for less and Poyeux can be found for slightly more, thatā€™s where my money goes. A shame.

Guess I never think of CA franc relative to Loire franc. Related sure but about 4th cousins to my palate. I was thinking pricing was reasonable vs Napa in general.

And youā€™ve clearly got a great source if you can buy CR at those levels.

I was thinking the EXACT same thing. Iā€™ve never had a Cali CF that really wowed me but am always eager to try. But not at this price point. Hopefully some nice fellow Bersker will pop a bottle of this for me and Iā€™ll pop some Rougeard.

Given that Cabernet Francs from France like Mission Haut Brion all cost $500 I am surprised you find this expensive.

Mission Haut Brion was ruined centuries ago when they added 90% of other stuff to the Cab Franc! :wink:

[welldone.gif]

I should have added context to my comment and limited it to CF from Loire. I would rather spend the $85 on such things as Clos Rougeard, Baudry, Raffault, Plouzeau, Collier, etc. But hey, this is completely subjective and to each their own. $500 on any wine is too expensive for my taste. Unless it can be flipped, then game on.

Must have gone back and forth on the 2013 ten times. finally found a weak moment and in for a three pack of the CF. I like Loire CF but that is an entirely different wine. I like the Jonata CF and this is less expensive on release than that one.

Couldnā€™t agree more. I enjoy both, but when Iā€™m in the mood for one the other will not do.

Just signed up for a 3-pack of the 2013 Cabernet Franc East Block. They only make 100 3-packs, and I just donā€™t see them on the secondary market, so here I go, all in, testing some pricey waters. But wow I love the regular CF.

I was about to do the same, and then I saw the price (steep!) so I am now on the fenceā€¦no experience with the label, but curious to hear opinions from anyone who has tried East Block in the past and whether itā€™s worth the cost of admission.

1 Like

I stepped out of my comfort zone to buy this today. I hesitated because of the price and the 3 bottle minimum, but I am a fan of the wines Iā€™ve had to date and know that 2013 was a fantastic vintage in Napa.

If anyone wants to share a bottle from my allocation, hit me up with a PM. We may be able to work something outā€¦

I tasted the 2012 East Block last year, and it was really, really good. For my tastes (prefer less ripeness, more acidity and tension), Iā€™m confident that the 2013 version is even better. If it wasnā€™t a budget buster, Iā€™d buy in a heartbeat, but I canā€™t afford to pull the trigger on a 3-pack right now. If someone in the Bay Area wants to offload a bottle, Iā€™d be game.

Detert East Block should be considered the benchmark Cabernet Franc in Napa Valley and for that matter, California. Here are my impressions of the first three vintages TASTED IN LATE 2014. I realize nobody here cares about scores, so I left them off.

2009 DETERT CABERNET FRANC EAST BLOCK shows a nose that is evolved and supple with chocolate, lavender, mint and a back note of sweet spice. The palate is full red fruit, backed by dense chocolate and florals with well-integrated tannin and spice with a seamless texture. Drink 2015 ā€“ 2026.

2010 DETERT CABERNET FRANC EAST BLOCK offers a complex mint, herb, cedar and cocoa shell nose with waves of dark, floral-scented fruits. The palate is more developed than the 2011 with a centered nectarine, lavender and supple ambrosia of mixed ripe fruit in the core. A velvet-like grip in the finish with effusive notes of dark chocolate and golden stone fruits. Drink 2017 ā€“ 2027.

2011 DETERT CABERNET FRANC EAST BLOCK was splash decanted for 10 minutes after opening. It shows a tightly wound nose of cedar, blueberry tart and cocoa that is vibrant and sweet with hints of licorice, lavender and fresh boysenberry. The palate is bright berry with a sleek espresso and lavender core. Overall a youthful wine needing another couple years. Drink 2017 ā€“ 2030.

1 Like