Do Tomahawk steaks make any sense?

Nothing wrong with cutting it off the bone after resting, then charring the bits along the bone. Also you can do some reshaping using the bone for leverage when you tie the steak. But I would love to see one of these come in untrimmed and let me do some reworking of them. Kind of a two stage cook, first do the steak, then smoke the bone with the rib meat attached.

1 Like

Definitely makes sense for a steakhouse. They can charge double for the same amount of meat. I wouldn’t see any reason to cook one at home unless you got a steal on it for some reason. Also, do you have a restaurant size salamander to finish it? I do love bone-in steaks because the bone gives you more interior meat.

Do you guys have Cattleman Cutlets? They are usually a better compromise for me. You might call them Cowboy Steaks? aka Ribeye on the bone, that way you are not paying meat prices for a heap of bone. Would that be a better option?

Cattlemans_Cutlet_16_1024x1024.jpg

1 Like

Yes Dave. They are called Cowboy steaks here. Flannery has a version of this where the bone is frenched. They call it a mini Tomahawk.

1 Like

I like big thick cuts like this for bistecca fiorentina too.

1 Like

Tomahawk.jpg

3 Likes

Here in London I can get both Galician and Basque cattle this way. Lovely stuff.

1 Like

My wife surprised me with a prime tomahawk from Costco a while back, seared it in the wood fired oven, then finished it on a low gas grill.

Very tasty but not any better than a bone in rib-eye. I will say for whatever reason I prefer a bone in my steak given the choice.
014DC857-C3F2-48AA-BE69-3990DB9CAAA2.jpeg
E99B8D2C-D2D3-447E-B8DD-F51B3BFC165D.jpeg
D3E9CE57-7172-4561-A4B6-AF024918D6D9.jpeg

2 Likes

Nice wood-burning set-up you’ve got there!

2 Likes

[rofl.gif]

I’ve never cooked one but have enjoyed plenty eating out. I always order Rare + in case they overcook and it comes out medium rare which is ok. If I order medium rare and they overcook then I won’t be very happy.

In other words, all show and no meat. champagne.gif

Kenji at Serious Eats did a thorough project on bone v.no bone and steaks in general some time ago. The conclusion was that the bone adds no flavor and “bring to room temperature” is an urban myth.

2 Likes

The tomahawk pork chops I see have two bones. I like that part way more than the bulk of the meat.

1 Like

While the bone may not flavor the meat, I prefer bone-in cuts because I like to gnaw the meat from the bone. Ribs are great for gnawing, but the best part of the cow (even above my beloved spinalis) is the meat and fat combo along the bone of a porterhouse.

All that said, the long exposed bone of a tomahawk is just a lot of weight that adds cost but not flavor or function.

I had one of these in a steak restaurant, treated by a vendor we use at work. They partially cooked it, then brought them out to the table hanging by the bone from some kind of medieval looking contraption, with a dish of roasted potatoes resting directly under the meat. Then they finished them off with a blow torch while the juices dripped onto the potatoes. It was quite the spectacle, and they were delicious.

1 Like

Imo, No.

1 Like

I cook them from time to time, but only when we’re having guests over. Agreed that you’re paying extra (both in cost per lb and total weight) for something you can’t eat… but my 125 lb cane corso loves them.

They can be a pain in the ass to grill if you’re on a BGE/kamado, given the grate sits down below the edge a couple of inches, resulting in a much more high maintenance cook than a normally cut steak.

I’ve got a couple of them posted on my IG account (@akgrill) if you like steak pics :wink:

1 Like