Do you always taste before you buy?

Would love to but no. As mentioned Cellar Tracker can be a nice benchmark on purchases. Really don’t want to buy a $50 bottle without any data points.

That’s why you need to carry a corkscrew when you shop!

I want to try before buying but can’t always. If I know the producer, I’m usually OK buying blind, but wouldn’t buy anything in quantity from a producer I don’t know pretty well.

But that’s where a Coravin might be useful. Last week a retailer told me that she’d see people buy a few bottles, go out to their cars and taste them, and then come back in and buy quantities of the wines they liked. That would be very do-able with a Coravin and gets around Alan’s problem of expecting the wine to be gone if you don’t take it all at once.

A very useful (albeit illegal) use of the Coravin!

No.

I have a stable of highly skilled wine experts I use to taste my wines. It’s called Wine Berserkers.

No. I tend to research producers or tasting notes on CT. If not I just take a chance… Havn’t been burnt too bad yet.

I’m not seeing the issue here. They’re not returning Coravined bottles the way I read it, just buying more of the ones they like. Illegal to consume alcohol in the parking lot?

Yes. I was referring to the illegal consumption in the parking lot.