Do You Buy Bordeaux?

Just to clarify, cost was not mentioned in the poll at all. And while it certainly played a major role in my disenchantment with the region, it certainly isnā€™t the only reason why someoneā€™s buying habits may have shifted from Bordeaux.

Flawed pollā€¦I buy Bordeaux irregularly.

From time to time, I buy some Bordeaux all in keeping enough in the cellar to have a few special bottles from time to time with friends that really like Bordeaux. So I usually keep about 2 cases, never a regular buyer, but I always have some ready to go for the right situation. Like any cellar Iā€™d assume.

Lunch-Bag was very fine value in its day, one of the few classed growths that saw the danger in rapidly escalating prices (the Bartons likewise). Not sure that is true these days - itā€™s priced higher than I will pay for any wine, and appears to be significantly more than double your last purchase.

I know Alex will be along to berate us for the classed growth focus and in not trading down for value. His argument is one that has merit. However Bordeaux seems very much a victim of its marketing success, of making the classed growths such a major focus, and then tirelessly working their prices upwards. Burgundy enthusiasts seem more willing to trade down than Bordeaux enthusiasts - perhaps due to more obvious Bdx competitors in other countries? Harder to replicate Burgundy elsewhere, but Burgundy also seems to be promoted / talked about at all levels, from Bourgogne, to village wines, 1er and Grand cru.

Really going out on a limb there. :slight_smile:

Sort of drifting off topic. Like you said, pricing is basically supply and demand. But, in the States there is also the effects of the multi-tier distribution system that skews the economics and allows price to be set artificially high, and not uniformly. And with respect to pricing there is the nuance here that single vineyard Barolo in a high demand vintage is a scarce commodity, in a lower demand vintage less so, whereas Bordeaux is almost never a scarce commodity. There have been many vintages over the last 50 years where the Bordelaise over-estimate the value of their wines in the market and they just donā€™t sell at the offered pricing.

Anyway release pricing for Juge hasnā€™t really changed in 10 years. So thatā€™s a good thing! Itā€™s just become difficult to source.

You could have bought 2014 Lynch for ~$70 when it was first offered, and can buy it now for ~$85. Not nearly twice the $59 Michael paid for his 1961 futures.

And I am not sure what empirical evidence supports the notion that ā€œBurgundy enthusiasts seem more willing to trade down than Bordeaux enthusiasts.ā€ I have maybe 6-10 bottles of 1st growth wine in my cellar that has more bdx than any other region. I have a similar number of Grand Cru burgundy, and I have zero red label Giacosa. The purchasing philosophy behind these decisions was the same in each case.

If you like bdx wines and want to buy very fine examples without paying a fortune it is easy enough to do if you do a little research and a little tasting. If you want to spend a bloody fortune, you can do that too, just as you could in Piemonte, CA, the Cote dā€™Or, Oz, or pretty much any wine region on the face of the planet.

I lease, with an option to buy.

That should have been option 5b.

See? Flawed poll.

Hi Neal
In that Burgundy enthusiasts seem happier to drink village wines, Bourgogne Rouge, and/or from not so prestigious areas within the region, and such TNs are posted here reasonably frequently. How many TNs do we see for Bordeaux beyond the classed growths? Some but not many.

Itā€™s not so much top tier (Grand Cru & sought after producers vs. 1st Growths and lets say super 2nds) vs the rest, but rather somewhat the point that Alex makes, that outside of the classed growths, there appears little interest internationally for Bordeaux.

Regards
Ian

Iā€™m still not sure what methodology you are using to draw your conclusion, Ian. On the front page right now, after wading through the Grand Cru burg notes, I see tns on 67 Pichon Lalande, 2010 GPL, 2014 Carmes Haut Brion, 82 Leo Poyferre, and 2009 Gloria.

I havenā€™t bought much in the past, but have been picking up 2014s of decent producers at what I think are good prices (shifting my ā€œCali Cabā€ $ there).

Only if it is sauvage, otherwise, Bordeaux.

Hi Neal
Surprisingly light on Burg today - but consider how many non classed growths are posted on here vs. (say) village level burgundy (letā€™s also exclude the fancier names like Dujac et al). My impression is you see a lot more of the latter on this forum than the former.
Regards
Ian

Iā€™m sure you are right, but I have never noticed it and see no evidence of it now.

CdP kills it with lamb! flirtysmile

I love Bordeaux with lamb, but gotta say, Northern Rhone syrah is the shits when it comes to gamey food!

The last vintage I bought was 2012, though Iā€™ve been very tempted by 2014, 2015, and 2016. Instead Iā€™ve been backfilling 80s and 90s, of which there is plenty at very compelling prices. Compared to other Cabernet/Merlot-based wines, Bordeaux has a lot of good values, IMHO. And I still love Bordeaux and drink it frequently. I intend to buy more '14-'16 in 10 or 20 years when itā€™s closer to its drinking window.

Rioja!

I still buy Bordeaux. For anyone that knows me, it might not be much of a surprise to find it is the heart and soul of my cellar. But as I keep aging, and so does my wine, I purchase less, because at some point that is how it goes.

As a matter of wine styles, buy what you like and you will be happier.

But dollar for dollar, at all ends of the price spectrum, $20, $50, $100 $250, etc, I do not see other wine regions offering better value for the same money on a bottle per bottle basis. And because the wines are made in large volumes, they are easy to find, there is no list, or in most cases, allocations.

Iā€™m just curious, but where do you find better value for this style of wine? Yes, if you do not like the style, I get it. If you prefer Burgs, Italian, Calif, there is no value in other regions. But if BDX is a style of wine you like, at all ends of the price spectrum, where are you finding better wines for less money?

This is not a precursor to an argument, Iā€™m honestly curiousā€¦

Jeff, quit hacking Robertā€™s accountā€¦ neener