Do you buy bottles with "Signs of past seepage"

Did they hammer lower than expected?

I almost never risk it with SOS. I have had a number come my way that were either labeled as such and I missed it. Misrepresented or undisclosed, or affected during shipping. I would say the ratio of wines still representative of their true self versus bottles gone bad is 4:1.

Have had plenty of older wines over the years where there has been seepage. The strike rate on opening a good wine is remarkably high.

I never buy wines with SoPS.

My recollection is they realized what I expected - at least I donā€™t remember being disappointed with the results. Of course, itā€™s impossible to tell if they would have hammered higher if they were pristine bottles.

Never, unless itā€™s $5 or something. Iā€™m always amazed at the high prices that people pay for obvious leakers on Brentwoodā€™s auctions.

Never!

1 Like

Yes - has similar experiences, I suspect a lot of the posters from the USA on this thread are talking about much younger wines that have been likely been subject to heat damage

Why do people tend to give German Riesling and Port a pass? Is it because these wines somehow are more resilient to leaking, or because they are more prone to leaky corks? I am specifically interested in buying an older Alsatian Riesling with signs of seepage. Good producer, good vintage, no other info on the website. I could ask the seller for details, but wondering if I should bother at all.

I definitely avoid seeping and protruding bottles, and am suspicious of depressed corks, but Iā€™m not quite sure why. What kind of damage does a depressed cork typically indicate?

A depressed cork could indicate error in production (cork inserted too far resulting in a faulty seal). Or multiple cycles of heating and cooling. Or being frozen. Or it could be nothing. But I have to draw a line somewhere.

Life is too short to buy expensive wines that look screwed up.

Seems next to impossible that the scenario you describe is possible. A few hours in the 70ā€™s is not going to do anything to a wine, certainly not produce seepage. Are you sure they were not leakers from the start?

I donā€™t buy wine at auction but Iā€™ve opened quite a few older bottles with signs of seepage, most notably a dried mold layer under the capsule and a wet cork all the way to the top. This includes both French reds and German sweet Rieslings.
The wine inside has been in excellent condition at least 90% of the time.

If the bottles had been leaking for 20 or 30+ years, the fills would not have been well into the neck and the dried wine would have been evident on the bottle. If you have bottles of Dunn HM, especially magnums, try it yourself ā€¦

Winebid currently has some Rayas bottles. Iā€™ve always been curious, but all of the listings mention seepage. And itā€™s their cotes du rhone which I know notihng about.

Domaine Leroy is notorious for seepage due to overfilling and I used to buy them.

Generally, no. But, a few years ago, a store had bought a bunch of wine from a private person where apparently most of the bottles were in good shape. There was, however, a 1970 Cheval Blanc with a low fill and signs of seepage. I bought it because the store, recognizing the condition of the bottle, priced it at about $55. Wine turned out to be quite excellent, although when I first opened it I thought I had wasted my money.

1 Like

Worth taking the gamble? Absolutely, I jump at every opportunity. Lower price, plus the bottle has been pre-Audoozed for me. Besides, if you like skiing, thereā€™s nothing that hits the spot like a bit of Gluehwein after a day of strenuous physical exertion. Whatā€™s not to like? [cheers.gif]