Do you calculate your end of life when thinking about what to buy?

Excellent topic of discussion, I was talking to my wife about 2019 Bordeaux and how much to buy. Some of the considerations were around relatives in the next generation who don’t seem to be that interested in drinking claret, others were about relatives who in their 60s had medical treatments that meant they could not drink red wines anymore. All gloomy stuff. In the end though, like Robert above, we decided that a lot of the pleasure was in the research and the buying. So I got the green light and will get some stuff with a 25 year life expectancy- that will see me into my 80s

As far as I know it’s the same grape, barring any clonal developments.

Gee, I was thinking Malbec was another name for Cot [whistle.gif]

Somewhat conveniently acknowledgment of mortality hit the same time as acknowledgment of running out of storage space. At 64, there is no more room in the cellar, stand-alone units and offsite bins. Running out of space is what led to the radical cut back in purchasing and, if you have to stop buying, the logical thing to cut first is the wine you may not be around to drink. We don’t drink much Bordeaux any more so Barolo has been the big one that I feel. Still buying every day drinkers occasionally and some that will mature earlier for which space will be created by consumption, but buying is way down. My dad is still doing fine at 91 but my mom died at 75. I figure I can back fill as needed if I outlast what I’ve got.

I buy for near term consumption, daily drinkers. I have plenty of special bottles with drinking windows for the next 10+ years.

There are many other reasons why alcohol consumption levels may be forced to decrease/cease with age which are more common and realistic purchase determining factors than end of life assumptions.
I suggest considering those as they can take effect long before your estimated demise.
Keep in mind just one of them may be enough to alter your consumption. They have all been mentioned on the board previously, so I will not depress you with the list which now includes the unexplained lingering loss of smell and taste courtesy of Covid19.

Unlike most of you, I know my expiration date is October 21st, 2041, it’s a Monday. I searched that way back when the internet started and figured that was about as accurate as any- I have been basing all my wine decisions on that date. Big party at my house weekend prior, which may contribute to this Monday date. 2001 d’Yquem, lots of Dom Perignon, Bordeaux, it’s gonna be huge!

I plan on actually drinking a perfectly aged Joh Jos Prum TBA or Scarecrow cab at the actual point of my death. I would settle for or Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Romanee-Conti, a 1st growth, or or screaming eagle, but those aren’t my favorites mainly because I have never tasted them.

Also I am in on the party Mark! Sounds like fun. Except for the part where you die.

But seriously I have never actually thought about it since I am currently 36, but I would assume if I make it to about 75 I will likely slow my purchases down. Especially of long term aging wines. I hope I will have enough savings to purchase an aged bottle if I do make to say my 90th birthday and wanted something nice.

Is your name Billy Pilgrim?

I’d love to go but unfortunately my wake is scheduled for that weekend.

And I’m afraid my next incarnation will still be too young to drink :frowning:

I try to take it into account but far too often don’t succeed in doing so. I suspect 75-80 is the likeliest range but I’ve had enough health scares over the years that I wouldn’t be surprised if it was sooner.