Do you carry a passport on you when traveling abroad?

For Business travel always in my briefcase. Many places I visit require a passport ID to enter the building. For vacation I always leave it in my travel carry on so it stays put and is there at the airport.

I also have the Passport card and a scan which I keep on my smartphone. Never needed either but key to have those case it gets lost or stolen. Saved my sister just last month.

Technically you are supposed to carry it around with you, but in practice many do not.

Can you own two US passports. You can in the UK with justification. Usually lots of travel so need one while using the other to apply is ok. Also if you need to travel to Israel and Saudi…

I have two passports. One is the regular blue tourist passport. I also have a No Fee government passport which is brown. The government passport was issued by the US State dept and it’s expiration date is in 5 years. It’s actually more of a hassle to use the brown passport because you need additional documentation to travel on it.

They do not like f’rners.

I have the Passport Card that I carry in my wallet like my driver’s license. I leave the full Passport in the hotel safe. The Passport Card is a great convenience.

+1

That is not going to get you on the plane home. [whistle.gif]

George

But it can still help, in various ways otherwise.

such as?

Yep, this is correct. Unless you are a resident in which case you have different government issued ID cards you carry instead. Or if you are a Japanese citizen, in which case none of these requirements actually apply.

Tom, how does one get a passport card? I did not know it even existed. Any details as to how long it is good for, cost, etc.?

I just found some answers: How a Passport Card Differs From a Passport Book | DMV.ORG

First available in 2008. Is applicable for the same 10 year period as the book. Can only be used for land or sea travel to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and Caribbean [not Europe or beyond}. Issued at same time as book for an additional fee which is less upon renewal. Looks to be more favourable for those who travel back and forth across those borders frequently.

Cost is $165 for both the card and book for first time passport issue in lieu of $185. Separately, the card cost $55 initially and $30 for renewal. Renewal for the book is $110.

+1 if staying in hotel. Otherwise I just leave in the apartment.

That`s what I do and it was only after reading the travel site article that stated it is required in many countries that I started this thread.

Im still not carrying the passport around, but Im also going to familiar places and neighbourhoods on a daily basis. There still is that unexpected experience that can happen where it would be deemed beneficial to have it on me.

Until I find out otherwise, Ill continue to have my drivers license and a scan of my passport on my phone as my sources of ID.

I figure I’m much more likely to lose it than to be stopped by police.

Me too Russell. Although pick pockets abound in certain areas of Europe Ive been traveling through. Even the Metro in Paris had announcements about pick pockets at many of the major stops I recently took. Thats more likely than the police stop especially since I`m not driving.

Mine goes in a front jeans pocket with no problem. If I am wearing a suit it goes in the inside jacket pocket.

I carry a bunch of stuff when I travel (two cells, one US and one with a local sim), wallet with some local currency, hotel card key etc., so it’s a bit ungainly but the passport is not that much of an additional burden.

And I am quite aware of pickpockets (and had, erm, some encounters in which I did not lose anything) but they were not after my passport.

I typically carry mine with me by default, either in a pocket separate from my wallet or in a bag that never leaves my person. Yes, it’s somewhat bent and mangled from that kind of treatment, but it’s still plenty valid. As mentioned, some countries require passport level identification be available at any time upon request.

But it does matter where I am and where I’m going. If travelling for work, I’m frequently visiting government agencies, and a passport is required to enter their facilities (often required that you leave it at the front desk). If vacationing in US tourist (or business) friendly place, I’m a little more lax. In China, I found that they required you to present your passport just to gain admission to certain attractions. One member of my group (one who travels professionally, no less) left theirs in the hotel safe, and couldn’t get in.

For what it’s worth, here’s my approach - I have a black nylon Tumi passport cover and use it like crazy. Allows me to keep it in my jeans pocket without crinkling the passport and it doesn’t really bend.

I carry the passport with me when I’m checking into the hotel, etc. (usually coming from the airport, anyways), as it’s required in the majority of places. I also carry if I need to pick up a local sim card from a mobile operator, as it’s generally required there, as well. Finally, I’ll carry if I’m travelling between countries within Schengen areas JUST in case. It’s required for non-Schengen EU and you’ll get stamped (i.e. from Paris to Ireland).

Outside of that, it stays locked up in my hotel safe. I also keep a color-scanned version of it, along with my drivers license, in my gmail account. My work account is probably safer, but if push comes to shove, I want it in a readily accessible account.

Have only had issues once, and that was because I was trying to get into Mao Tse-tung’s mausoleum in Tiananmen Square and I didn’t realize there was an ID check and metal detectors. I borrowed a friends ID, put my thumb over the picture and bee-lined to the door of the mausoleum when they started talking to me. #stupidamerican works almost every time.

re: pickpockets - have never had a problem here and I’ve been to some prime destinations. Wallet is always in the front jeans pocket. Only real exception to this has been in La Rambla in Barcelona - I’ll leave the wallet in the safe and carry a couple of Euro bills, a credit card and my drivers license, as I know at least 5 people that have been pick-pocketed/mugged in that general area. Rio is a close second, but much more an issue of getting mugged at night. In general, I try not to do stupid things like walk by myself at night (sober or otherwise) when nobody is around and in the Rio example, don’t walk on the sloped part of the beach at night.

Outside of that? My biggest concern is on the metro/subway, as you’ve got a ton of people banging into you. I usually walk with my hand in my pocket. Probably a stupid idea (one arm is out of commission and probably draws attention), but it makes me feel better :smiley:

I put my passport and drivers license in a plastic sleeve, and hang it around my neck with a lanyard, keeping it under my shirt when on trains, buses or subways.

This allows me to keep some cash and a credit card in my front pocket and my wallet in hotel safe.