Do you have a favorite knife?

Doesn’t actually work with a lot of wa-handled knives, like the knife in the picture, IME. But, yeah, it’s the number 1 choice for western-handled knives.

I just keep a bench scraper handy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fujiwara makes some of the best knives I’ve ever used, they just fall through food. His lower priced knives are probably the best value out there in the knife world. I have this Saji Takeshi that goes through large cuts of meat with ease and precision. Just a beautiful knife.

Takeda is also high on my list, they are just so thin and fast. I’ve had this one for years and just love it, it’s the only knife I’ve used and thought that I might be cutting food to thin.

https://www.chuboknives.com/collections/takeda/products/takeda-aogami-super-banno-bunka-170mm-6-8

No single favorite, but here are a few I like:

(left to right)
Sakai Takayuki Ginsan Damascus Sujihiki 270
Konosuke Fujiyama FM Blue 2 Gyuto 255
Yu Kurosaki Shizuku R2 Gyuto 210
Takado no Hamono Ginsan Suiboku Gyuto 210

All acquired during covid.
PXL_20220621_001319826.jpg

Is the Takeda something you always thought highly of or did it take time to get used to?

That Saji is gorgeous. Of course it is out of stock. I’ll have to check my regular shop and see if they have one. Just checked and they still have the rainbow petty I picked up 5 or 6 times but couldn’t actually pull the trigger.
I haven’t purchased a true Bunka, but that Takeda would tempt me.

I had to wait a while for mine, seems like they are made in batches. That being said it was definitely worth the wait, the feel of the knife is just amazing. It feels as much like a weapon as it does a culinary knife, incredible balance. The Takeda is a vegetable prep machine, they make a stainless clad version also.

JCK has a few assorted Saji: Japanese Chef's Knife Store

My fav is the cheapest & the knife I use least - Opinel No. 8 (carbon, not stainless).

Someone please give me an excuse to buy this knife:

1 Like

Are people with high carbon steel leaving them out in the air? I notice the majority are stainless clad knives on display. A few Blues I can see.

I have mine in their boxes with oil paper around them. They rust so easily.

Nice to see many people rocking artisan knives instead of department store type stuff.

Right now, my favorite to use is my Ryusen Blazen 210 mm SG2 with wa handle (RYUSEN - BLAZEN RYU WA - SG2 Nashiji - 210mm Kiritsuke Gyuto - Walnut – Strata), but I still pull out the German western style chef knife for rougher tasks.

1 Like

I have a few carbon and for whatever reason have not had a rust problem. I did have one stain when I sliced something acidic and forgot to rinse.
Of course our A/C runs 12 months out of the year, so that may have something to do with it…

Coincidentally I’ve been thinking about getting a Ryusen as my first Japanese knife, Fukakuryu Kiritsuke Santoku, a modern riff on a traditional blade, RYUSEN - FUKAKURYU - ATS314 Damascus - 170mm Kiritsuke Santoku - Mono – Strata. The subtle Damascus pattern and ergonomic curly maple handle are cool, ATS314 steel.

Fit and finish of Ryusen is very high, so you’ll like that. Handle is less chunky than some other brands…that is probably my only minor quibble.

170mm is a good size for a santoku, but you may need a larger knife for some tasks, so just keep that in mind if this is your first Japanese knife and you don’t have larger western knives as backup for your bigger items.

1 Like

Buy that knife. I have almost the same one, different blade finish and my handle is cow bone instead of deer antler but the knife geometry is the same. If you are looking for a slicer this one is perfect. I’ve had mine for around seven years now and haven’t had to sharpen it yet, it almost seems to get sharper the more it is used. Takeshi knows what he is doing with these and he is not going to be around forever, now is your chance. Lastly, I paid more for mine so you are getting a deal. Buy that knife!

Outside of a 270mm Kikuichi Honyaki Yanagi that was a wedding present and is a fish only slicer which doesn’t see much use, all of my knives live out on a magnetic wood holder or in my knife roll and they don’t rust. Make sure that they are totally dry after you clean them, and clean them as soon as you are done using them and they won’t rust.

I have a lefty yanagi and didn’t use it much until I realized it was a fantastic slicer for any boneless protein. It’s most common use now is boneless leg of lamb, and it’s the perfect knife for that.

And my most common use for my deba is spatchcocking a duck.

Sacrilege, I know, but it works so well.

I can see that. I have a Sabatier Canadian Massif that I use for stuff like that. Best lobster knife ever. 10 in. chefs knife with a spine almost 1/4 inch thick. Great for really hard squash as well as I can use a mallet on the spine.

For squash, I typically use my RiteNife VG-10 “cleaver” from Taiwan, that’s very thin right up until it gets to the spine, then it thickens out a little. Extremely lightweight and maneuverable for it’s size. Being thin and tall, I can usually just push it right into a kabocha or spaghetti squash. For a particularly tough specimen, I might need to wear gloves.

It’s really a great knife for the money ($75), and a great way to find out if you like using a “cleaver” for vegetable prep. Currently working ebay link is here