Does the size and weight of a wine bottle matter?

I disagree, my friend - but that’s what makes it possible for us all to exist. ‘Tradition’ is important to me as long as it makes ‘practical’ sense - but having a number of different shaped bottles for different wines does not to me.

Cheers.

Fun if you’re buying and pouring soon, sucky if you’re storing or shipping them. Long, burgundy, sparkling and some fat bottles don’t fit in wine storage boxes unless you put a few upside-down (and long ones flat out don’t fit). The only one I wonder about is sparkling and what can be done to the shape of those bottles so they don’t have to be so bottom-fat.

1 Like

Worst carbon footprint I have encountered were the six packs of Hundred Acre wines. It was not just their heavy bottles, but a ridiculously thick, heavy wooden box which was their shipper, close in weight to a case of lighter weight glass.
Hopefully, they are more aware in recent times.

The other side of the spectrum isn’t great either. Giovanni Canonica uses perhaps the cheapest / thinnest glass I’ve ever come across. A hard flick could probably break a bottle.

+1. Unless periodically startling my dog because the lower shelf in my Eurocave has shifted again due to certain weird shaped bottles is part of the “tradition”.

My first thought when I saw the thread title was Turley. Over weight and difficult to to store. Only producer that I stopped buying because of the bottle.

[worship.gif] [worship.gif]

Alas, one of my favorite producers uses over-sized bottles that don’t fit in my wine racks. So I have boxes and boxes of aging wines sitting in shipping boxes.

how about these square wine bottles: Are These New Square Wine Bottles Messing With Success? - Food Republic

Edi Kante uses a 500ml also, but the neck is really narrow. He uses the slimmest width corks I’ve come across.

The worst are Olivier Bernstein. I’m guessing they are trying to justify their excessively overpriced offerings by putting them in the biggest bottles with the longest corks. They don’t fit much of anywhere, I can barely get them in my oversized 3-3/4" cooler slots.

Two things:

1. +1
  2. They have switched, or are about to switch, to far more reasonable bottles (there’s still room for improvement, but the transition to the new bottles will likely get me back buying some of their wines).

Bravo! Bordeaux bottles stack safely and take up less space in my racks, go for it!

Only the wine glass weight matters, especially when empty (meaning unused).

I HATE too big, too thick, and too long bottles. I do like the traditional shaped bottles for the different grapes/blends/regions.

Damn. I was just about to post this. Scrolled back just to make sure. Figured first person to mention Turley would win a prize.
[soap.gif] [stirthepothal.gif] newhere [snort.gif]

I pine for my one bottle of 1967 Ridge Monte Bello, which was a spectacularly compact Bordeaux shape. I could probably fit 5 more bottles in my compact fridge if they were all in that form factor. IMO any producer that doesn’t have to rely on shelf presence to sell through ought to focus on efficiency of packaging (of course that would be too rational for the wine world [shrug.gif])

Dirty and Rowdy bottles are almost perfect

1 Like

If the labels peel off they’d be good for that homemade olive oil project I never started or even thought about [snort.gif] .

They would stack much tighter, but are they lighter? Square bottles usually need to be heavier for the same volume due to the thicker corners.