Does There Come A Time When The Search For Epiphany Experiences Ceases?

It seems to me pretty analogous to the same question about sex, or at least what I remember about sex.

Lol, or Spirituality. But both of those those can still happen as we get older if you’re paying attention…

Does There Come A Time When The Search For Epiphany Experiences Ceases?

Yeah, when new releases of the latest vintages of the epiphanic labels come with price tags of $30,000 per 750ml.

The epiphany for me is the family and friends I share it with.

Out here in flyover country, the fun is in finding a table wine in the $14.99 to $19.99 segment of the market, which scratches the itch when you have big family get-together.

They’re there, but you gotta put in the sweat equity & the elbow grease necessary for finding them.

[Whites from Northern Italy & Slovenia, possibly the Loire; reds from Argentina or the Languedoc or the Southern Rhone, possibly Beaujolais.]

Finally, someone actually gets the question. [winner.gif]

Isn’t just getting it an epiphany!?! :wink:

I don’t think you got the point; milkshakes are a drink that is delicious but don’t offer a deeper experience

Dude. Have you ever had the peanut butter milkshake from PDQ? It’s almost as revelatory as Klondike bars.

We have a different experience of milkshakes.

Hey, if you want a milkshake with your filet, duck or sole have at it.
What do you have against delicious wines? No place at your table??

I have a friend that has a deep cellar of very fine, mature Bordeaux. Has a pretty traditional palate. And yet, likes Bordeaux paired with vanilla ice cream. I’ll never get it in a million years, but it’s his palate like mine. Along those lines, I really don’t understand pairing Sauternes with sweet desserts, like creme brûlée.

[rofl.gif] [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]

I love milkshakes, but I have never had one that matches the experience of a top hot fudge sundae.

Epiphany opportunity spotted. Let the quest begin! I suggest starting with Milk Shake Advocate though their scoring has compressed in recent years.

No. My epiphany is finding a new variety/region/producer.

Now, with the help of the wonderful Berserkers I’ve found A(g)lianico I’m looking for my next one.

But as obsessive as I am about
it, wine can never replace sex for me :wink:

Michael, I posted an opinion to your question above, but sorry I can’t help drifting along with the thread . . .

If by “milkshake” you mean the version with ice cream (aka frappe), you have my attention!. Tom Hill actually posted a couple of milk tasting notes (MTN) the other day. How about an MSTN?

It’s like searching for the perfect mate. Stop searching, it will happen organically.

Then Burgundy must be an unfaithful lover.

I’ve stopped searching for that moment after about 2 years and 200+ bottles. 95% of wine is meh. Very few even stand out.

A super fascinating post and one of the more thoughtful questions ( and some of the responses) in a while. Epiphany implies novelty which by definition becomes more elusive with experience. There is another factor to consider which is age, developmental rather than chronological . To me, the defining feature of middle age is satisfaction with routine- the pleasure of doing something well repetitively and the decline in seeking novelty. This applies to most , if not all, areas of human endeavor including the physical, Sexual, emotional and spiritual spheres. Part of this is almost certainly driven by fear of failure or avoidance of pain but largely , it seems inherent to the life stage. Wine experiences are no exception. I believe one needs to embrace this stasis as soon enough the inevitable decline leaves one, principally, with memories to enjoy. I don’t deny the possibilities of mid life transformation ( trauma or hallucinogens can have this effect) but I don’t think it is common . For everything there is a season. L’chaim!

For me it is about continuing to learn whether that’s about a new vintage, how long to age wines in my cellar, visiting different countries and tasting at the wineries. Last year we visited Badia a Passignano and had glasses of that, Tignanello, Guado al Tasso and Solaia for a tasting. The Solaia was among the best wines I’ve ever tasted. Chasing that dragon to find greatness and then to monitor that wine in 10, 15, 20 years if you have multiples is what I like to enjoy.