Doh! Ever do this before?

Of course! Most recently a couple weeks ago I thought I pulled what I thought was a Patria Oakville out of the cellar. It was outstanding. Looked at the label and it was the Avoyelles.

[cheers.gif]

I never know which one I’m opening.

I’d love to hear which SA Chenin that was!

I’ve also done this with Sandlands at least twice. Gotta look pretty closely to see if its California vs. Amador, etc.

Lol, it was from a time I was less diligent with CT. I want to say Sadie Family, pretty definite; Edit: Wanted to say Palladius though less sure now. The bottle and vintage was mid-2000s. Best recollection. It was well regarded and one of my first forays in to SA. Editx2: Recanting, narrowed it down among CT purchases, thinking it was the '06 Palladius. Was a beast of a white wine.

Drank way too young and no preparation. The first glass blew me away, I paused, and I knew I fucked up.

LOL! Thanks, Rich. Sorry to laugh, but I can imagine your tone and cadence in your writing. Good to hear that Palladius is legit-good ---- I’ve looked at it longingly a few times, but it’s not exactly cheap. Now I might give it a shot sometime, as I’ve also had another Sadie wine or two I found to be excellent.

Appreciate the complement [cheers.gif]

Sadie Family is worth it IMO, definitely. It delivers, rich and stops you in your tracks. Price-wise, its not Burgundy, then again nothing else is lol. That said, 50 bucks on a SA Chenin blend back in 2006 was some coin and taking a chance. It worked out and I recommend Sadie often. Recent vintages are a little over a c-note, probably about right for 15 years of wine inflation in a growth region. Its a great representation. Happy hunting!

Slightly off topic, but attended a grand opening of hip new nightclub in Walnut Creek, CA twenty something years ago. The newly hired bar staff was inexperienced. A guy in our orbit of 20 and 30 something year old friends was feeling frisky and decided to order a shot of Louis the 13th Cognac. The bartender gave him an 8 oz. pour in a snifter. Everyone else in the group quickly said “i’ll take one of those too”. By end of night, that bottle of Louis had been polished off!

That’s amazing! Would have been all over that ‘make it a double please’ :wink:

How much were those 8 oz pours? That stuff is pretty expensive.

Back then a 1/2 oz. pour of Louis was $100 give or take. So we got 16x value!

For my tastes, 2004 was underappreciated in CdP.

A lot of regions were underappreciated in 04. I think in Barossa Valley that was the best vintage of the decade and Napa is not far behind. Bordeaux was solid overall.

I opened a Guiberteau clos des Carmes when I meant to get a Guichaux. Oops. Guests preferred the $20 Saumur Blanc we’d just had. There were reasons I hadn’t meant to pull the Carmes. I drank as much of it as I reasonably could.

Older Rhys bottles are super easy to this with. Tiny fonts for my ageing eyes.

I was going to say the same thing. Both the bottlings and the vintages are easy to mix up.