Domaine Robert Arnoux Lachaux Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru "Les Suchots"

I don 't see that, 2017 NSG Poisets was less convincing, actually more acidic than concentrated, unusually light …
Haven’t opened Suchots yet … bought only 2 bts.

No reason for any hype !

Andrew, I think the $550 might be the “new normal” with recent vintages the best ever. The Reignots is even worse (or better).

HN Cathiard and CLB are situated at the foot of the hill, Arnoux Lachaux is high up at the top. Different terroirs/wines only have the same name because Suchots is large.
I love my HN suchots although HN is excellent but not top drawer producer.

They are excellent wines. I’ve had them back to 71. But at the new pricing it really is insulting.

Their Echezeaux isn’t that much less than DRCs.

The absolute best Suchots to me. Cathiard and Hudelot-Noellat come close.

Plotnicki opened that wine in NY for me long ago and sent me on an Arnoux quest that has cost a lot. Headspinning 78.

weird that older vintages are cheaper. I bought a b of 93 recently for less than half the current vintage price.

It’s not that weird. The price doubled recently. It might impact the price of back vintages but they aren’t going to double overnight. It’s similar to Clos Des Lambrays.

I remember when Wally’s couldn’t sell the '76 RSV for $300 at the tent sale. The next year it was $3,000 and sold through, lol

I couldn’t bear to spend $300 on the Suchots. Waited for it to come down, but it didn’t. Settled for the Reignots at $100, stopped chasing, and never looked back.

I have friends who swear by his grandfather’s wines, but my experiences with his fathers wines were consistently disappointing; I found the H-N Suchots to be consistently better head to head. Others’ views may, of course, vary.

There’s no question he’s making wonderful wines, of course.

I can’t tell if the OP is asking about back-vintage bottles of Robert Arnoux suchots, with which I’ve had mixed experiences, or the more recent Arnoux-Lachaux wines, for which I’ve lost my source after the 2016 vintage, but are wonderful and for me among the top burgundies being made. There are others who can give a much more detailed overview of what Charles has done recently. No comment on pricing. I think the wines are pretty great top to bottom and I’m hoping that some of Charles’s negotiant wines, which are more modestly priced, show the same elegance and beauty. I don’t know who makes the best Suchots - I’ve never had a bottle of the Liger Belair version - but I think the recent Arnoux-Lachaux wines are about as different as one could be from Liger Belair, with the former being whole cluster and moderate new oak, and Liger-Belair’s wines being, for my palate, unbearably oaky and slick. But that is more about your preferences in burgundy I suppose. I will look out for the H-N version as I didn’t realize it was so highly regarded and now want to try a bottle.
A

Totally different style of wine now. Not just in the cellar but in the vineyard too.

Not that it justifies a huge price increase but they are dramatically different wines nowadays

1 Like

Yeah I have two bottles of 93 arnoux suchots, would be interesting to do a vertical with like 93, 02, and 17

No recent experience, but the 1999, and to a lesser degree the 1998 were wonderful.

Friends,

I agree that the wines currently made by CHARLES LACHAUX are truly top notch and are better than his father’s and certainly more consistent than his grandfather’s. On the other hand I see a growing lack of interest in smaller customers llike myself. Father Pascal took better care of his “clientel”. prices are, moreover, on the up to say the least. Hope I am wrong but I fear that in a not to near future Charles will no longer be interested in selling to, however faithful the client may have been, annual visitors like me. Suchots ,by the way, is even no longer his most valued premier cru. That is REIGNOTS nowadays. Charles asks even more than LIGER BELAIR or Grivot for that famous neighbour to LA ROMANEE.

SINCERELY JOHAN

I can 2nd that … hard to get an appointment, hard to get a proper allocation … not really a friendly welcome …
[cry.gif]

opened a 99 Arnoux Suchots recently. Nice but perhaps a bit grumpy. No fireworks. Still a fave of mine.

Paid about $50, I think, with Jerry Hey, for 06 H-N Suchots.
539C4D4C-5769-4417-8FA6-25050FBF1F7C.jpeg

When / what vintage did the “style” change? Forgot what year Charles took over the entire operation.

started in 2012, first vintage with 100% control of wine making was 2014

1 Like