Domestic Pinot 2 Part Question

Hendry make a very decent Napa Pinot. They are just West of the city of Napa and are in one of the coolest spots in County. Cool air falling down the slopes of Mount Veeder pools in their Pinot vineyard, and most days they get morning fog.

Robert Sinskey

I think Rivers-Marie and Rhys are fairly different with R-M being the bigger of the two wines, often with a good deal of orange peel. I find Rhys wines are a bit more elegant.

At any rate, I think Briceland wines are a great deal. I’ve gotten that orange peel in some of their wines (notably the 14 Humboldt County) but stylistically, they’re not quite as big as the R-M, shading more toward Rhys (Briceland ABVs seem to have fallen a bit over the years). My favorite is the Ronda’s Vineyard, which has to be one of the great SVD bargains in California. They will participate in BerserkerDay, highly recommended.

But don’t just take my word for it, check out this thread.

Arcadian is another interesting winery in that their wines are built for the long haul. Littorai is another very good shout.

Disclaimer: I consider Andrew (the winemaker) a friend. He’s also a Berserker.

I would make appointments at Rhy and Big Basin one day in Santa Cruz, then head to Littorai, Copain, and Williams Selyem the next day. That would be a good trip for me. :slight_smile: (Add in Ridge in SC if you are also so inclined.) [cheers.gif]

Joseph Swan
Lynmar
Copain
Roadhouse in Healdsburg
Fogline

Littorai

Arcadian

… but only if you want the most age-worthy and elegantly powerful Pinots being made in America. IMO, Rhys is the only winery that is even in the same qualitative zip code as Arcadian, but they’ve yet to really prove themselves (I am sold on Rhys, btw). Joe’s wines are simply genius, and I fear his efforts won’t be adequately recognized until many many years down the road.

^ Todd confirmed Arcadian were “in” for BerserkerDay.

Speaking of, BerserkerDay is a great time to pick up some 3 or 6-packs of Pinots from across California at great prices. Highly recommended to help narrow down your preferences and the pricing is downright excellent in many cases.

All good recos. Although I haven’t tasted the last few vintages, I would add Mt Eden.

Jason

Following up and closing the loop here. Our trip is this weekend.

Based on your feedback in this thread, we have booked tastings with:

Lynmar Estate
Littorai
Scherrer
Kutch

On the more typical Cabernet front we will be visiting with:

Roy Piper
Mike Smith
Schoolhouse Winery (which also makes a nice Pinot I’m told)

Will probably add another 2-3 off-the-cuff visits, based on recommendations from the folks we’ll be tasting with.

I’ll report back when we’re back.

How nice to go on our Napa-Sonoma buying spree in the middle of list offerings season! Sigh…

If you like Rhys, Windy Oaks is another Santa Cruz Mountains pinot producer. To me, they are among the most balanced and enjoyable pinots in California.

[quote=“Alex G”]Following up and closing the loop here. Our trip is this weekend.

If you are going this weekend you might want to pack hipwaders!

Lots of good suggestions. Also, good advice to check the Berserker Day offerings, as there will be many good sampler packs to choose from, that make for good intros.

If you have time in SF, consider appointments at August West and/or Cellars 33. (Both friends and fellow Berserkers.)

Oh, man, a tasting at Roy Piper!

Way cool.

If you going tomSojourn for a tasting, I’d definitely swing by Sunflower Cafe for lunch. It’s right on the square and one of the better tomato soups I’ve had.

Post your results!

You got pretty solid recommendations (he says with only 7 days of experience in California).

Failla was absolutely worth visiting in Napa. Not only do they make great wine, their tasting room is so not Napa. It’s tucked away on a side hill in a hunting cabin and the tastings are intimate and really fun. I would personally shy away from Merry Edwards, the wine is fine but it’s like a hotel lobby/time share pitch feel. Just really forced and not enjoyable.

Porter creek gets my vote also, dinky little tasting room and some very cool wines. I’d add Benovia and Innman to your list.

Have fun!

Anthill