Domestic Rose?

Bedrock is a winner this year and quite different from the 2009. Another very surprisingly elegant rose that I’m sipping right now is the l’Aventure Cote a Cote.
Btw Bandol fans who like Tempier, might try the Terrebrune. Same class but less cash.

Cayuse - Edith Rose
Lagier Meredith
Virage (Cab Franc)

Imo Pinot Noir makes the best Rose in the US…and KB’s is my fav!

Thank you everyone!

Cool avatar, Loren

This one is no longer made but it was pretty good!

I admit to having a significant bias against most domestic rose- however will certainly try some of the recommendations here, assuming I see them and they are reasonably priced.

1. Most domestic rose’s and (even many imports) are made as a bi-product of trying to improve the red wine vs. actually trying to make rose. I admit there is a bit of a philosophical “purist” bias here, but in practice I have rarely found Saignee wines to be as pleasing as wines made with the singular purpose of making good rose. Particularly dometically it is about trying to profit on what would typically be thrown away.

2. Many of them end up made in too heavy of a style- too fat, not enough acidity, sometimes cloying. I look for a crisp, refreshing, light style of rose.

3. Pricing is too high- especially when you combine the fact that they are basically capitalizing on what would have been waste before Rose became more popular. Typically I can blindly pick up any number of $8 -$12 roses from Provence and find them more consistently enjoyable than most all of the $15- $25 domestics.

Big fan of tercero. Wonderful depth from a rose and a killer price

thread on that subject: Proper Rose from the New World? - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

My favorite this Summer: 2010 A Donkey and Goat Grenache Gris Isabel’s Cuvee McDowell Valley.

As a Tavel afficionado, i have had mixed experiences with Domestic rose. Price point is often high and quality mediocre for the most part.

I have had good luck this yr with a few -

Lasseter from Sonoma, glen ellen- as close to a cote du provence as i have seen but 19 bucks

Love Elizabeth Rose - pinot rose form Napa.

I know that this might be heretical but i just tasted a 2010 rutherford rose /bordeaux blend form trader joes at $5.99 that was tasty like liquid strawberries

Thanks Todd. Took it with the Hipstamatic app on my iphone. If you have never been up to Anne Amie, it offers spectacular views. And a picnic area!

Not a regular offering, but I really liked the Arcadian 08 PN Rose out of Pisoni last year. In fact, I was downright shocked by how much I liked it given that I generally do not like domestic Roses. But then, that’s Joe showing what’s possible.

LOVED the cut-out label, and the wine was quite nice as well.

Drank several Terceros this Summer. Great rose. Been my Summer go-to.

Also, Scherrer makes a great one that I can usually find at Whole Foods.

Cynthia Cosco out of CrushPad made one out of Cab for her Passaggio label. Sadly it is long gone.

Also had a rose called Hog Wash that was actually pretty good.

Not Domestic, but…

For unexpected pleasures, and back to Whole Foods, found one from Lebanon. Named started with an “M”. Was unexpectedly nice.

Sadly, I had a Tavel that no matter how much I brush my teeth, I can’t get the taste out of my mouth.

+1 on the Syncline and also would add Barnard Griffin.

+1, +2, +3, +4, and emphatically +5. Not that I get that many votes… I keep wanting to like Cali rose, but even with the favorites here (Bedrock, Copain, Kapcsandy, et al) I just struggle to find a love for them. Much prefer those like Domaine Saint André and Château de Pampelonne from Provence.

I’ve tried the 2009 and 2010 Château de Pampelonne (which is about $17-18 in SoCal) and enjoyed them, though the 2009 I thought to be much better than 2010. Though, for $19 (in SoCal), I’d take the 2010 Bedrock Ode to Lulu any day. In fact, I thought the 2010 Ode to be as good as, or better than, the handful of Domaine Tempier vintages that I have tried.

Another vote for Ojai and Bedrock and a strong endorsement for Tercero which is usually some combination of Grenache and Mourvedre. It’s a lovely wine to keep on hand in the summertime. It’s our go-to as well.

That was the fist that sprung into my mind. Best rose label ever