Double Cream and Clotted Cream - my adventures

FYI - Bucket and Bay is a covid casualty. I walked over today and they’re gone and their website says they closed permanently in September :frowning:

I didn’t like their gelato but it was great having a source of pasteurized cream right here in JC.

https://www.bucketandbay.com/

Fortunately if their website is to be believed Eataly carries it so I’ll risk a trip on the PATH this week and find out.

Thanks, my understanding is they used it as an opportunity to relocate to the west coast somewhere. Good luck finding a replacement source! I’ll let you know if I come across anywhere (I live in Hoboken).

No pasteurized cream in JC or Hoboken?

Not that I’ve found now that B&B is gone. But I just bought a quart at Eataly earlier today.

This is a control item to prevent infection by the USDA or similar. It also prevents us from getting overseas raw milk cheeses but locally produced ones can be sold. Just not cream. You could market the cream as animal food. That is what some do with fresh unpasteurized milk. (also controlled) I can’t imagine the sanitation is this bad. I wished I could find a farmer where I could get fresh cream.

The USDA is causing infections? I knew thing were bad but didn’t realize the extent.

Tom,
Since the 1930s each state has had milk laws mandated by the goverment. They were in response to a public health statement from the US government. I can’t remember the actual department. These laws mandated pasteurization of all publicly sold milk. I know it is crazy. They were concerned about infections mainly campylobacter especially in infants.

Reread your post and the response slowly. Then laugh. Or not, as you prefer. [cheers.gif]

PA is a state where you can buy raw milk, though there’s a warning on the label. They usually have it at the Terminal Market in at least one of the Lancaster Country or Amish stands. I haven’t looked for cream.