DRC Corton Charley?

From a few years back -

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2506152#p2506152

What is everyone talking about with the price of BdM ? 18s are selling for $350. Still too high IMO.

Yeah I’m having a hard time figuring out what we’re talking about with 735?

You mean for the BdM CC? 18s are $340 (WS best price) and 17s are $275 (ibid). Where are people getting $700+?

This is from the offer letter I received last month-

“The 2019 vintage of Bonneau du Martray is particularly special; it marks a year of renewal to purpose and connectivity to the land for the Domaine.

Over the past twenty years, the estate has witnessed the beneficial impact of biodynamic farming on the health its soils, the strength of its vines, and the resulting beautiful wines.

In 2019, Bonneau du Martray made the decision to lease just shy of three hectares of Corton-Charlemagne to Domaine de la Romanée-Conti. In doing so, Bonneau du Martray is able to increase its focus on the health of each vine, ultimately seeking to capture the most extraordinary expression of each vintage. What we lose in volume, we gain the exploration of the elusive “what if” – questions asked by all producers who have to make decisions based on availability of time and resources. Perhaps even more exciting is the opportunity to compare and contrast the perception of Corton-Charlemagne every single vintage; sharing our parcels with an estate like Domaine de la Romanée-Conti allows us to do just that. All of this will be your gain, too, allowing us to push the boundaries of what “the best” Corton-Charlemagne truly tastes like.

The result in 2019, I am pleased to say, is a year of exceptional Corton-Charlemagne.

The 2019 Bonneau du Martray Corton-Charlemagne is focused and energetic, with a purity that rivals vintages like 2014. While there is so much allure now, this is a vintage built for ageing; its tension, depth of flavor, and complex layers of spice, meyer lemon, and flinty minerality ensure that it will reward us even more in decades to come. Similarly, 2019 Corton reflects a chiseled expression of pinot noir. Black cherry and savory spice dance amidst a firm structure; this vintage is one to age and enjoy over the next two decades.”

3 pack release price.

2-2,500 is my best guess.

I mean too each its own. Anybody paying over $700 for this wine…

Pricing - ah that’s a moving target - eh? Remember how (relatively) ‘inexpensive’ were the 1999 and 2002 1er crus? Later to be higher priced than their Echézeaux on the secondary market.

DRC Corton remains relatively cheap - for a DRC. My expectation is DRC Corton plus 30% for pricing which would be in-line with the price tiers - red vs white - at many domaines on the hill of Corton. What happens afterwards, in the secondary market, is anyone’s guess - but I anticipate a significant extra premium for the inaugural 2019 vintage - just as happened with the red 1er cru. Whilst I’d love to have a bottle, or three, in the cellar, I stopped buying grand whites sealed with normal cork a long time ago, and have never since poured oxidised wine down the sink - I’ve been present twice when that was done with their 02 Montrachet - the greatest white I ever drunk young!

To me, just as fascinating are the shenanigans behind the leasing of the parcel to DRC :wink:

don’t tease us. Tell us. We won’t tell anyone.

He, who does not know, speaks.
He, who knows, does not speak.

Alan…it is a saying in Tao. Please take note that it is not direct at you at all at all. Just a general statement.

He, who argues, is not kind.
He, who is kind, does not argue.

Forgot to mention that I tasted the 2019 last month!

It’s very DRC in style, in the sense that it’s conceived in a rather rich, gastronomic register (though this is evolving, as they aren’t picking the whites so late and are modifying the barrel program to favor a bit more energy); but it’s more tightly coiled and chiseled than the Montrachet. Tasting the two side by side, you couldn’t confuse them. More articulate reviews to follow early in the new year in TWA.

2 Likes

the short version: we will be more than doubling the price going forward.

Do you see a future where DRC CC can rival Coche Dury CC in quality?

Side note is DRC still doing two versions of Batard, oaked and un-oaked?

Thanks William.

kroenke de villaine - Suchen