Dunn Howell Mountain vs Ridge Montebello

Howard, that seems to me to be ideal. There are already far too many people competing for older Ridge.

1 Like

Wes Barton wrote:
Btw, Jimsomare = Klein, as part of their Historic Vineyard Series. That series highlights a single vineyard, single variety from Monte Bello, when they decide it’s distinct enough to bottle on its own, after not making the Monte Bello blend. The names are the original planters of the parcel. Jimsomare being a later name for Pierre Klein’s vineyard. Confusingly, the Zin from there is still called Jimsomare. Much of that Cab does regularly make it as a Monte Bello component. They also have a good portion of their Chard rowing there.

We love the Klein Cabs. The 2016 Klein is fantastic. We loaded up on that vintage. My wife also bought a few bottles of the 2017 after trying it.

Ed

And this is a good thing, but Ridge just does not have the same general cache as many of the big label wines. I know that from personal experience. Having dinner with a buddy tomorrow who has a huge collection of cults, and not a single Ridge. That’s not atypical. For that matter, he doesn’t have Dunn, either.

At what age do you drink the Klein. I bought some 2011 when I was at the winery. Don’t know when to drink them.

I once had an older Jimsomare at a MB vertical (it was either a 1984 or 1985). It was fabulous. Only a step behind the MB.

I’d add Mount Eden to that list, at least for my budget!

Is that cache manufactured (for lack of a better word) by marketing ? Admittedly I’m not familiar with the farming/vinification expense of the top cult wines, but could see the appeal of something like Dominus and the pedigree of the winemaker there.

Reading some on this, it sounds like Klein is a subset of the fruit that Jimsomare Cabernets used to be (and from the handful of Klein’s I’ve tried, it seems oakier than the former Jimsomare cabs).

It was in the late 90’s (CellarTracker has the final vintage of Jimsomare Cab as the 1998) that Ridge stopped making Jimsomare Cab and it sounds like they instead began bottling some of the cab from these vineyards as the Klein Cabernet. It also sounds like once Ridge purchased the Jimsomare property outright, they also began using some of the cabernet fruit from those vineyards in the Monte Bello Historic Vines, Torre Ranch, and Steep Terraces bottlings.

From Ridge on the Klein Cab:
“Pierre Klein, an Alsatian, purchased his Mira Valle property on Monte Bello Ridge in 1888. He planted cabernet sauvignon— possibly other Bordeaux varietals as well—and aspired to produce wines as great as those of the Médoc… Prohibition led to the demise of Mira Valle and the abandonment of the vineyard. The Schwabacher family of San Francisco bought Klein’s land in 1936, renaming it “Jimsomare.” At our suggestion and with our support, cabernet was replanted in the early seventies; Ridge produced a small quantity of Jimsomare Cabernet from 1978 until 1997. When Ridge took over the vineyard in 1996, it became part of the Monte Bello estate vineyard. This year, we selected a limited number of barrels for a separate bottling. This excellent cabernet sauvignon will develop its full complexity over the next fifteen to twenty years.”

Was 2017 the most recent shipment? Wondering when they somewhat went back to their old style.

This is a few years old now, but it’s worth a listen if you want insights into Dunn’s winemaking style and the changes since Mike has more or less taken over from Randy. It’s a candid and thoroughly entertaining 2 hour conversation with Randy and Mike.

Howard Cooper wrote:
At what age do you drink the Klein. I bought some 2011 when I was at the winery. Don’t know when to drink them.

Howard, I would say that you can enjoy the 2011 now, or age it for another 5 years or so. We try to hold off on the Historic Series wines for at least 10 years. Ridge was pouring the 2016 last year up in Healdsburg and we loaded up on that vintage after trying it.

Ed

How about Ridge '87?

In 2018, I won a 6-bottle lot of the 2010 Togni for $89.25/each all-in.

Lucky you. I paid in 2018 for my lone bottle of Togni 2010 ca. 100 Euro and it was very good price in Europe. By the way in 2018 I also bought 1994 for 160 Euro and it was bargain than.

Haven’t had the privilege of drinking one, but I bet it’s brilliant. Are you offering? :+1:t2::+1:t2:

Haha I wish! It’s my brother’s birth year so been looking around for '87 Napa cabs as it’s his favorite. Will have to try and track Dunn down at least!

They still show up fairly regularly. Used to be able to get the ‘87 Dunn for $110-120, but in the past few years they’ve been $210-230. As good as it is, I won’t spend that much on it. If you can find a bottle with good provenance for under $200, it’s worth it.

EDIT: Wine-Searcher shows one bottle: a magnum at Benchmark for $500. :flushed: Ouch.

As much as I love Dunn ('85 Howell Mountain being my all time favorite), I wouldn’t spend $200+ a bottle. I get that there is a premium for magnums, but $500? Lord have mercy…

I know I’m a Dunn fanboy :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:, but I’m not knocking Ridge. I love me some Ridge MB.

At a dinner a few years ago, despite the stiff competition, the 1976 Ridge MB was my WOTN by a wide margin, and one of my WOTYs.

Some of the wines in the lineup that night:

1975 Château Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande
1975 Château LÊoville Barton
1976 Ridge Monte Bello
1987 Robert Mondavi Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
1991 Joseph Phelps Cabernet Sauvignon Napa
1991 Robert Mondavi Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve
1993 Ridge Zinfandel Pagani Ranch
1994 M. Chapoutier Crozes-Ermitage Les Varonniers
1997 Conti Costanti Brunello di Montalcino
1997 Altesino Brunello di Montalcino Montosoli
1999 Altesino Brunello di Montalcino Montosoli
2001 Spottswoode Cabernet Sauvignon Estate
2001 Heitz Cellar Cabernet Sauvignon Martha’s Vineyard
2006 Sine Qua Non Grenache Raven Seriest
2008 Screaming Eagle Second Flight
2010 Altesino Brunello di Montalcino Montosoli

1 Like

What a lineup! Must have been some dinner [cheers.gif]

We have some generous people in the Toronto crew. I’m fortunate to know them.